Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what tyres you guys recommend for Evo X's? Mine will need to be changed in a few months for so. So what i need are tyres that offer good grip in the dry and wet with stiff sidewalls and that last for a while as i do about 10,000 miles a year. Looking forward to your replies :)

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
The old 'whats the best tyre' question? You'll have a load of different answers. You need to decide what it is you want from the tyre exactly. The main thing is what is your budget? If it's unlimited, then you need to look then at how long the tyres need to last. Because if you want 10k miles out of a set on an evo, then dont get a semi slick or R1R etc as they'll prob last less than 5k miles.

If you're on a budget and dont drive it hard, try something like a Falken 453, perfectly good tyre if you're not into high speed cornering and not really pushing the car to its full potential.

There are loads of threads on tyre choices. They pretty much apply to all evo models. As I said, its all down to usage and budget.

Check out the offer for MLR members right now on Yokohama tyres. Advan sport in X fitment for whatever your wheels are. Very similar tread pattern to the Falken 453 I think.
Personally, I wouldnt use the AD08's but only because a number of people tell me they dont inspire confidence in the wet.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The old 'whats the best tyre' question? You'll have a load of different answers. You need to decide what it is you want from the tyre exactly. The main thing is what is your budget? If it's unlimited, then you need to look then at how long the tyres need to last. Because if you want 10k miles out of a set on an evo, then dont get a semi slick or R1R etc as they'll prob last less than 5k miles.

If you're on a budget and dont drive it hard, try something like a Falken 453, perfectly good tyre if you're not into high speed cornering and not really pushing the car to its full potential.

There are loads of threads on tyre choices. They pretty much apply to all evo models. As I said, its all down to usage and budget.

Check out the offer for MLR members right now on Yokohama tyres. Advan sport in X fitment for whatever your wheels are. Very similar tread pattern to the Falken 453 I think.
Personally, I wouldnt use the AD08's but only because a number of people tell me they dont inspire confidence in the wet.
Yep the old 'what's the best tyre?' question :) No I'm not looking for semi slicks cos i know they only last about 5K on most cars,I've already got a set of Falken 453's and there no good for me as i do like to use the car to its full potential and as you say aren't the best for high speed cornering i find they induce under steer but that also could be because my alignment is out and the tyres have worn a little on the inside lol.

In terms of budget i never skimp on tyres so I'm expecting them to be expensive which is fine,i had a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE050's on my old car and found them great in the wet and dry and in terms of wear so might go for those again on the Evo,just wondered what people recommend that's all :)

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
A set of Goodyear F1 Assyms has recently gone on my X. The main reason is that they are reckoned to be one of the best in the wet and would therefore be suitable for MLR sprints in those conditions. First time out they were used on track in drying and then dry conditions and I'm told (I wasn't driving) that they seemed to work pretty well (ie no obvious understeer). I suspect that this had a fair bit to do with the fact that the geo was done at NR Autosport where anything with understeer simply won't be tolerated!

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
One person says such and such a tyre is great and others say the same tyre is dire. If you know a tyre and like its performance, go with what you know is sometimes a safe option.
If I had unlimited funds I'd fit R1R's and just renew them when necessary, and then keep the used worn ones for track days :)

And yes, I'd heard also that the F1's were very good

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 330 SST is running a set of goodyear F1 asymmetric 2's the previous owner fitted before I brought it.. Do a decent job!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Running goodyear F1s brilliant tyre, but recently tried MAXXIS MAZ1s had them on my old S15 and must say they are a brilliant tyre and grip extremely well good enough for daily use.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
I found the R1r's really good :smthumbup

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
In terms of budget i never skimp on tyres so I'm expecting them to be expensive which is fine,i had a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE050's on my old car and found them great in the wet and dry and in terms of wear so might go for those again on the Evo,just wondered what people recommend that's all :)
I use these & find them perfect for my needs which is a daily driver. They are more of a summer tyre but perform decent in the wet.
Should last around a maximum of 10k miles I'd think.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
I've only ever had the standard A13c's on mine and now the AD08's. AD08's are miles better than the standard tyre. May try something else after though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I use these & find them perfect for my needs which is a daily driver. They are more of a summer tyre but perform decent in the wet.
Should last around a maximum of 10k miles I'd think.
Yeah i am tempted to buy these again found them great in the dry and almost just as good in the wet but my old car was FWD and only running 240BHP they did used to spin up a little in the wet when i floored it but it didn't have traction control or an LSD,do you find your back end kicks out at all if you floor it in the wet?

I've only ever had the standard A13c's on mine and now the AD08's. AD08's are miles better than the standard tyre. May try something else after though.
What are the AD08's like in terms of wear? Tempted to try these as well :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And for the Goodyear F1's there almost the same price as Potenza's on camskill,what are they like in the wet/dry and wear?

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
What are the AD08's like in terms of wear? Tempted to try these as well :)
They have lasted me a fair while longer than the A13's. Probably twice as long and still have some meat left on them. I would say you could get 10k out of them maybe.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yeah i am tempted to buy these again found them great in the dry and almost just as good in the wet but my old car was FWD and only running 240BHP they did used to spin up a little in the wet when i floored it but it didn't have traction control or an LSD,do you find your back end kicks out at all if you floor it in the wet?
Not really unless I give it a small flick. My wheels do spin in the wet but I'm running more power than standard so it's expected.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Put some R1R's on mine few months ago and they are so much better than the standard tyre and fantastic in the wet!! Can really get the grip the X deserves now!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts