Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
car came with 050 bridgestones good dry grip ok wet stiff side wall made for harder ride. only real problem was feeling the let go point. found very little warning between grip and oops there she goes again.put F1s on and like the feel much better.dry grip very good wet grip better. softer sidewall makes for slightly better ride but also more progressive breakout.seems to feel more comunicative.have heard very good things about mich ps2 and as iam doing20000 plus a year will probably try them in the fall.west coast of scotland my first priority is wet grip, dry road tyres need not apply.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
If you don't push it too hard, the Goodyear Eagle F1 are a good allrounder (although the sidewall could do with being stiffer). If you do push hard but want a fully treaded road tyre, either the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 or the Pirelli P-Zero "System" Asimmetrico (not the Rosso) have good wet and dry grip.

For semi-slicks the Toyo R888 or Dunlop D01J / D02J are good in anything but standing water.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm intrigued - what is the problem with the Pzero Rossos. I had no option when I purchased my Speedlines Turinis from Ralliart as they came with the Zeros - surely if they are that bad they wouldn't be fitted as standard on 18s.

I did a bit of checking and overall consensus is that for your average non track day driver like me, the rossos are about average and if anything better all rounder than the Yokos.

Comments anyone??

·
Registered
12 Posts
I found the standard Yokohamas good and sticky in the dry but hopeless in the wet. They also wore out after 13000 miles so I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sports. They are excellent under all road conditions and I would recommend them (although pricey). It remains to be seen how long they last.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
nickejmartin said:
I'm intrigued - what is the problem with the Pzero Rossos. I had no option when I purchased my Speedlines Turinis from Ralliart as they came with the Zeros - surely if they are that bad they wouldn't be fitted as standard on 18s.

I did a bit of checking and overall consensus is that for your average non track day driver like me, the rossos are about average and if anything better all rounder than the Yokos.

Comments anyone??
I think it is only that they are not as capable as the System Asimmetricos. I've heard people pan the Rosso as "rubbish" tyres (a purely subjective view, obviously) while I have nothing but praise for the System Asimmetrico (better than the Potenza S01 and the Eagle F1s I had previously).

I'd be tempted to buy the Rosso next to do a back to back test, but to be honest I have been put off by the negative reviews I've seen on here. The only negative reviews I've seen of the Asimmetrico is of the Rosso Asimmetricos, not the System ones. Next up for me will either be the PS2 or another set of System Asimmetrico ;)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
So, Mat. Any the wiser :D

As usual, no-one can agree! I will need a new set soon. I'll probably go for the Toyo R888 but I might regret it come winter. Only real solutuion is to get a spare set of wheels for the winter and put some F1's on.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Go with R888's I've used mine throughout the winter and have never come across roads wet enough to slow down any more than normal. A set of enkei's won't set u back too much but I would hold off buying tyres until u have tried the R888's in the wet, u will not want to go back to normal tyres!

martin

·
Registered
186 Posts
Digger Dog said:
My Potenzas have only lasted 11000 miles, the fronts slightly less than the rear. Does anyone know the life of the MPS2 on a 260? :confused:
My factory fitted Potenzas 050A have 4.500 km (2.800 miles) on them [of which 1.000 miles of easy run-in driving] and have been rotated front to rear for a two times already and seem to come to the end of their life :eek: Very even wear, almost no difference outside-inside, but just almost no thread left. I guess they will need replacement at 5.000 miles. OK, almost every mile of this car after run-in has been on the limit but hey - new tyres every 4.000 miles...

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
selecta tyre in the east midlands and up towards manchester are good, got my 235/45/17 for £138 inc. vat fitting. They will beat any price, sometimes not even bothered if its a local price

bracknell tyre and battery are suposed to be cheaper if u r near!

martin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts