Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
were is the best place to get a sunroof fitted into my MR. I have been contemplating it for a while, as the summer approaches I feel the urge to let some light into an otherwise drab interior. I remember Webasto a few years ago used to supply them. This mod will also increase the cars value as it will be the only one as far as I know. Opinions please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,325 Posts
Sunroofs are never an 'investment' on a performance car.

I would have thought the structural rigidity of your motor would definately be compromised especially as you have an alloy roof :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,738 Posts
You need a roof like this John



Think of the joy, driving about with the wind in your hair... ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,874 Posts
daveR said:

Think of the joy, driving about with the wind in your hair... ;)
LOL I think he's Bald (like this smiley :) )

hasn't the MR got a light weight roof? nah I would leave it alone, just winde the windows down - just as :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
998 Posts
I would have thought that an after market sun roof in an MR would lower its value not increase it, don't do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
Best place to fit it is surely in the roof - going to look kinda odd if you put it anywhere else ! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Faced with a choice of 2 I would choose/pay more for the one without the sun roof m8. Its just not meant to be in a car of that type and in my humble opinion would detract from the original, unmolested nature of the car. My advice for what its worth is dont do it.

Cant you just open the window if you want wind in your hair as sunroofs dont tend to let wind in anyway?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Think he may be winding you lot up!

(Quote from the Disco Dave Thread about Paint):

JOHNS RED VII - "What do you mean black and blue, is he going to spray us.
If I came on here and said I want to fit a sunroof into my aluminium roofed MR do think I would be taken seriously. I would expect to be ridiculed but i wouldn't spit my dummy out.
Did you notice the smileys in my "retarded" post, it was said with humour. "
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,325 Posts
nickg123 said:
Think he may be winding you lot up!

(Quote from the Disco Dave Thread about Paint):

JOHNS RED VII - "What do you mean black and blue, is he going to spray us.
If I came on here and said I want to fit a sunroof into my aluminium roofed MR do think I would be taken seriously. I would expect to be ridiculed but i wouldn't spit my dummy out.
Did you notice the smileys in my "retarded" post, it was said with humour. "
[email protected] LOL :crackup:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,875 Posts
:rolleyes: :p :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,738 Posts
nickg123 said:
Think he may be winding you lot up!

(Quote from the Disco Dave Thread about Paint):

JOHNS RED VII - "What do you mean black and blue, is he going to spray us.
If I came on here and said I want to fit a sunroof into my aluminium roofed MR do think I would be taken seriously. I would expect to be ridiculed but i wouldn't spit my dummy out.
Did you notice the smileys in my "retarded" post, it was said with humour. "
I thought the irony of this post had been missed by most ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,120 Posts
daveR said:
You need a roof like this John



Think of the joy, driving about with the wind in your hair... ;)
My brother had one for a couple of years, they are huge amounts of fun for a 600cc B2 engine with around 0.0bhp and 0ftlb of torque available.

Hooning around country lanes with the roof rolled back and drunken mates stood up in the back was a laugh :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,744 Posts
don't do it!!

as has already been said it reduces the rigidity and structural strength of ur car:

1. ur car will handle worse
2. They didn't used to crash test cars with a sunroof, and they certainly wont have tested one that hasn't got one as standard.
3. it counts as a modification hence more insurance!

I would never buy a car with a sunroof!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,738 Posts
John, I bet your wetting yourself at this thread now!!! :crackup: :crackup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
about.......to.........dive...........in..............with...........both...................feet.........................NAH! :D

my VII does have a sunroof though - and it don't slow me down none.........maybe I should get a sheet of aluminium and staple it over it to increase rigidity? :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,392 Posts
martianevo said:
don't do it!!

as has already been said it reduces the rigidity and structural strength of ur car:

1. ur car will handle worse
2. They didn't used to crash test cars with a sunroof, and they certainly wont have tested one that hasn't got one as standard.
3. it counts as a modification hence more insurance!

I would never buy a car with a sunroof!!
OK, but potential reduced market for my car aside, I like sticking my hand out the sunroof on hot days!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,744 Posts
If u get a platform between the front seats, so ur dog can stick its head outa the sunroof it'll reduce the amount of dog dribble/nasal discharge on the insides of the windows.

Of corse it will now be down the back of ur neck and all ova the roof but people won't see this!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some of my best memories are standing on the vinyl seats of my dads yellow cortina with my head out of the sunroof all the way to Rhyl, all I want to do is recreate the experience for my kids.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top