Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an evo 4 with an 8 engine. Recently took it to a garage for oil and filter change. When i got it home - I noticed a very slight tapping noise from the tappits under the bonnet.

When i questions this with the garage they told me they had used 5.30 oil - which was receommended to them by a large company who checked out my registration number etc on the computer?

Anyhow - I called a mitsubishi dealer who said i needed 10w40 - which has now been orderred by my garage - however, before i have that plied into my engine - I'd like to know if its right?

As i said, i have an evo 4 with the 8 engine, just fitted a 9 turbo and different manifold. running with a full de-cat and induction kit - its due to be mapped next week and i'm thinking about 400/400
what wld be best to use
thanks

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
oilman will tell you the same as i have quoted :smthumbup
Fine, but it seems to me that the 5W 30 that's been used is fine and unlikely to cause any engine damage ie so no need to kneejerk react and change immediately . Isn't that the main thing to establish rather than to determine what's optimal?

·
Registered
11,773 Posts
Fine, but it seems to me that the 5W 30 that's been used is fine and unlikely to cause any engine damage ie so no need to kneejerk react and change immediately . Isn't that the main thing to establish rather than to determine what's optimal?
quite right bud,dont think it will cause any damage, but op was asking which oil would be recommended

there is that 1 mate but iv always used 15w50 as it never rattles unlike thin grades some of the other lads have used
interesting, thought the 15 would be too thick on when cold, strangely mitsi recommend 10-40 :confused:
i think the debate on oil can go on & on as everyone, inc traders have different recommendations :lol:

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
what wld be best to use
It depends on how you use the car.

If it's strictly a road car, 5w30 will be fine for this time of year, as long as it's a decent oil.
In the summer I'd go to 5w40 (I actually use a 5w40 all year round in my VII).

If you use the car on track, a 10w50 might be better for you, depending on what oil temps you're seeing.

My personal opinion (along with a few others here) is that Silkolene Pro S 5w40 is the best oil to go for, as long as you're not seeing oil temps higher that 135-140 degrees C on track. :smthumbup

Paul

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
quite right bud,dont think it will cause any damage, but op was asking which oil would be recommended

interesting, thought the 15 would be too thick on when cold, strangely mitsi recommend 10-40 :confused:
i think the debate on oil can go on & on as everyone, inc traders have different recommendations :lol:
thats right mate it could go on and on lol well think of like this take an engine thats done say 50k and see what engine wear there is after useing the same oil and then look at another engine useing different oil .. thats what made me change and stick with mobil 1 but its personal choice :smthumbup.. its like whats the best tyers :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Any one use Lucas Oil?? It was recommended to me. Not heard much about it though.

·
Registered
11,773 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts