Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Evo VI RSX
1,789 Posts
Less restriction obviously. The elbow being early in the passage of exhaust gases means you have a restrictor fitted essentially (pipe narrows early on) meaning the 3" system is being wasted slightly. With a 3" elbow there are no restrictions to the gas flow

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had mixed reviews on them on Facebook people saying they aren't worth getting a stage 1 then other people saying yes get one.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I went for a full 3" including elbow (system not fitted yet) and going for stage 1.
Probably is overkill but at least if I want more the exhaust is sorted

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got a full milltek, downpipe,decat and catback on ATM. Going stage 1 next weekend just thought it may help flow.

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,804 Posts
I've had mixed reviews on them on Facebook people saying they aren't worth getting a stage 1 then other people saying yes get one.
And I take it these people on Facebook giving reviews, modify lots of Evo's, do lots of testing on dyno's and have a wealth of experience tuning engines? Or are they just your normal Keyboard engineer who has never actually done anything themself, but just read about it from another unkown source?

·
Premium Member
9,976 Posts
For some JUST changing the elbow may not give any noticeable road gains.

That being said, I do believe withinn reason the quicker you can get the exhaust gases out the better. As part of a system yes I'd always swap over from OEM. 3" Elbow, 3" downpipe and 3" exhaust system (straight as possible).

There was a debate some years ago about the elbow, not it being 3" but the actual routing inside some had 2 ports going into 1, others just had a huge open mouth design.

·
Moderator™
27,618 Posts
hardly a big job to swap old for new.

Cannot see the issue TBH - OEM parts compared to better upgraded after market parts is a NO brainer!!

don't reply on bookface use the wealth of knowledge on the MLR.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
i fitted a m2 turbo elbow just recently on my 6 and there is a noticeable difference in spool comes in lower in the rpm range, you will gain a small amount of bhp 5-10?, surely its better to have drive ability then look for bhp numbers.. then mated it to a 7rs turbo ..wow what a difference!

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
I did this on mine, along with a ported manifold and turbo elbow, and I suspect now that I probably wasted my money. I wouldn't bother on a stage 1, the downpipe won't be holding it back at that level. There are plenty of cars on the forum making the same or more power than mine is with the standard downpipe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts