Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got any useful tips on bedding-in a new set of discs and pads (apart from the usual take it easy for the first couple of hundred miles )? Just had my fronts replaced and upgraded... (no guessess as to why).

I kinda feel ashamed of driving my Evo at the mo. Everywhere I go people can't help but point and laugh at my squeally brakes. The quicker I can bed-in these brakes the better.

Dazzler

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Go out, get in your Evo, go round town and don't come back until a couple of hundred miles have elapsed..... :D Hey presto, tomorrow you can get back to driving Evo style..... :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To bed in the brakes you want to heat cycle them, take it easy to start with braking from low speed down to stop, and then increase the speed and loading. The most important thing for the discs is to allow them to completely cool down between use. The longer you can bed the discs in for, before using them hard, the less chance you will warp them when using them hard in the future. By heat cycling the discs you will even the molecular structure of the steel, it is the uneven molecular structure that causes the metal to expand at different rates around the disc and cause it to warp. Pads normally take about 50-100miles to bed in. Discs, the longer the better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for the advice so far. May have to look for some relatively remote country roads to avoid further embarrassment.

Just FYI I'm running Pagid RS4-2-1's with the std Brembo calipers. The discs (8 groove) I think are made by Brady?

Daz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gung-Ho

I run standard Brembo calipers with disks that have been crossdrilled and I also use the same pads as you. I get very little squealing, just occasionally at low speed. More than acceptable.

I was very careful to put the pads in with enough copperslip on the areas that matter. I then bedded the pads in as suggested by Pagid. I went to the local private motorway ;) and first did light to medium braking from 100 mph to 60 mph leaving about 400 metres between each braking. I repeated this 4 or 5 times. Then I did some hard braking over the same speed, the same number of times. The idea is to slowly heat the whole thing up. With the pads you are running I have been advised that it is best to brake short and hard, rather than long and light! It is possible to glaze these pads.

I would suggest either refitting the pads with copperslip (if not done) and try bedding in proceedure again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx for the advice Simon.

Funny enough I have a 'Private Motorway' near me.... M5 is what I think they call it these days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.