Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am thinking about buying a battery relocation kit (with everything that goes with it). Does any of you have it and could tell me if there are side effects to installing it?

Thanks

Tarik

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Tarik,
I have the battery relocation kit fitted on my car. I use a HKS Induction Kit and using the relocation kit means the filter is at the front of the car and its easier to pipe cold air to the filter face. I think I have the smaller sized Japanese battery, so Im not sure whether a larger capacity battery will fit on the relocation tray. Thats the only downside I can see.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Howard,

Have you done anything particular to direct cold air to the filter face? I've seen at least one car owned by someone on this board which has a tube from the passenger side spotlight socket to the filter for that purpose.

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Steve,
The previous owner had run a flexible pipe from the horizontal vent under the spot lamp, up through the panel and it entered the engine bay next to where my filter is. If it's anything like the Imperza there could have been a resonator box in the panel, but I don't know. I've removed the pipe for the time being as it was fraying badly, but will be fitting something similar shortly. The pipe seemed like thin aluminium(?) which made it easy to shape and I think I've seen similar stuff in Demon Tweeks. It's just a matter of holding it all in place.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Howard

I have the small battery as well (like a motorcycle battery), but as you have the kit, maybe you can tell me if you noticed a downside to the installation or its effect.

Thanks
Tarik

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Tarik,
It's hard for me to comment because the car came with the relocation kit fitted, so I never experienced the car without it.

To me, it makes sense to reposition the filter at the front of the car where it can 'breath' better, plus it moves the weight of the battery further back towards the wheel, though whether the latter is a benefit is open to question.

With the relocation kit fitted the air has a better route from the filter to the turbo. From what I can remember with a standard car the pipework flows like a reversed Z, with a couple of tight bends.

The only downside I can see is that with the relocation kit fitted the filter isn't securely fastened down. I originally had a panel filter that had some industrial Velcro holding it in place aided by some tie-wraps. When I swapped to the HKS filter, I couldnt used the backets supplied and had to hunt around for something else to fit the filter.

Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Tarik!

Go to www.powerengineering.com and have a look at their special airbox.

It's about the same price of the ralliart battery relocation kit and theyr kit includes an aluminium airbox the relocation kit aluminium turbo pipe and all the hoses.
It does not include the blitz filter that should be fitted in it.

I've got the hks racing suction kit fitted that has special filter and aluminium piping but it does not switch the battery. www.tdi-plc.com
But for the price of the ralliart kit that doesn't include any filter you get the pipe and the hks filter.

Hope this helps

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Steve,
I spent the weekend under the bonnet doing a few jobs so I had a look at the area in the wing where my Induction kit points. There is absolutely nothing in the wing at that point and you can see right out to the ground. The vent under the fog lamp is open allowing air to flow into the 'space' and it is this that the previous owner utilised to 'pipe' air to the filter. I would guess the air is pretty turbulent at this point and piping the air through to the filter will probably ease this. I guess there was a resonantor there before. Perhaps you can check your car to see what is in the side wing at the front of the car? (As MAXI said a good option is to enclose the filter in a box and pipe air into that, this will keep the air cooler and prevent the engine from warming it.)

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Howard,

Had a look under the bonnet and amp; front wing. As far as I know mine is bog standard. The 'brake vent' under the passenger side spot light does deliver air into the space in the front wing, approx below where the std air filter sits. However there is no pipe leading to the air filter or direct route to the air inlet: the only holes where I can see to the 'floor' that the battery and air filter sit on are to the left of the headlight and amp; just behind the left of side of the same light, plus a smaller gap between air filter housing and battery. Sounds like the relocation could have involved taking out some of the metal that the battery sat before it was moved.

The standard air filter aperture is fixed onto the inside front wing and faces the battery. As far as I can see, air gets in mainly from the holes I described above (a slightly convoluted route) and possibly also from over/around the battery from the rest of the engine bay. Probably not the most efficient air intake ever designed!

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Steve
When you take the standard filter box off there is a large hole in the wing behind it. This lets cold air in quite well.
Adrian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts