Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Im sure this has been spoken about loads of times, but I am frustrated with the battery life of evo's. My car is currently sorn off the road so she dosn't get started all that often, but when I go to start her shes dead. I have changed the batt to a newer one (1yr old) as the original just wouldn't hold voltage. Done this four days ago. The newer batt was fully charged. Car started 1st time and was left to run for a good tens mins or so. Tried it the other day and again started no probs. Went to start her today after leaving her for a day or two and guess wot, the batts dead again. The central locking works, but very slowly. Question is wot is pulling a current that is killing my battery. I have read that this is always an issue with evo's, is this true???

·
Premium Member
22,084 Posts
As Im sure this has been spoken about loads of times, but I am frustrated with the battery life of evo's. My car is currently sorn off the road so she dosn't get started all that often, but when I go to start her shes dead. I have changed the batt to a newer one (1yr old) as the original just wouldn't hold voltage. Done this four days ago. The newer batt was fully charged. Car started 1st time and was left to run for a good tens mins or so. Tried it the other day and again started no probs. Went to start her today after leaving her for a day or two and guess wot, the batts dead again. The central locking works, but very slowly. Question is wot is pulling a current that is killing my battery. I have read that this is always an issue with evo's, is this true???
certain things on a car need to draw a current when the ignition off, clock, alarm and i'd guess ecu, you need to get a meter on the car and see what the engine off current draw is with a good charged battery

also starting the car and running it for a few minutes wouldn't really replace the charge taken by starting it

Lastly the standard batteries are only small, so have a smaller capacity than bigger batteries

If your car is off the road, and close to a mains outlet, then an optimiser maybe the way forward

if you dont need the alarm, tracker etc, then another is to disconnect the battery when you are not using it for a while

Stu

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
10 mins running wont replace the power taken from the battery to start the car it takes something like 7 miles driving or 30 minutes iirc

Optimiser or two batteries one in the house and one on the car just keep swapping them over

·
Registered
597 Posts
Had the same prob. on my 5. Just bought a bigger batery from Halfords, problem solved. :smthumbup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts