Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 TME is an import and as such has a 'small' battery. Can anybody give any advice if I want to replace it? Not being too techy I want more longevity from the battery as it leads to problems that have been written about elsewhere on this forum. Is it just a case of a better battery or does the alternator need changing also? The cold weather spec cars have a different battery but I'm not sure if they have a different alternator?

Cheers in advance.

Kevin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Kevin

You are right, any cars which are fitted with the 'cold pack' have a larger battery, uprated alternator and heated wing mirrors. I always thought this was all standard until I saw the tiny battery in other peoples cars. 'Cold pack' cars usually come from the northern Japanese island. It's colder up there.

Thorak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct about the battery being uprated on the 'cold weather pack' but the alternator remains the same on the E5 to TME. Only the E4 had an uprated alternator in the cold weather pack.

I have had no trouble with the small battery but you can source a larger battery from Halfords if you want. Try searching on the forum for 'battery' as someone posted the Halfords model number.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes I was shocked too to see the tiny box that is a battery in mine!
HH6 - you mention a halfords number. Is there a specific battery that's correct?
I have a nice newish one from my old car sitting around and was thinking of using that. though too be fair the small one has been fine so far, even tho most of my journeys are short and involve lights, heat etc.

cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So long as the batteries have the proper amp rating and voltage (12V) as well as the right size (1SM), they should work fine. I'm using DIEHARD American batteries for a year now, and yep they do die hard!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an uprated battery available taken from my own 6. It's as good as new and fully charged you can have it for £30.
It is both electrically and physically larger and fits straight in. It's also available form Halfords no. HB054 for around £55. Contact me on [email protected] if you want to save £25.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys,

Still a little confused as there are 2 views above on whether the alternator is changed as part of the cold weather pack (not that I've got one).

Just want to make sure that i don't upset anything by putting in a different battery that the alternator on mine can't deal with?

Kevin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was an uprated alternator included in the E4 cold weather pack. The uprated alternator then became the standard fit alternator from the E5 onwards. I rest my case.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kevin (Evilution),

One Man...... PAPPA LAZZEROO !!!!

.........MY WIFE WOULD LIKE TO USE YOUR TOILET.....

CALL ME POP!!

Jonathan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers HH6 - I bbelieve you, with that many stars I can't argue!!

Me nipples are like bullets

Kevin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts