Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody used the multi curved headers that you see on japanese modified evos(banana headers).these car are always running a minimun of 400 bhp.its said that they give a minimun of 50 bhp.
apparently they are brittle and are used mainly on drag evos. has anybody used them and what were the results.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have seen one on a car at the Rally car day at Combe. The guy spent a lot getting it modded at TDI and was pushing out approx 380 bhp. The mods were pretty extensive and included induction, exhaust, remap, big roller bearing turbo, plus associated bits (he showed me a rolling road printout). Looked nice but the header had a crack in it and it was less than a year old! Also, the exhaust heat shield had to be removed as it no longer fitted - not sure what that did to underbonnet temperatures. (If you're on here mate, sorry I can't remember your name, so please speak up and put me straight if needed).

They cost around a grand as I recall although I doubt the manifold alone would give 50 bhp. The claim for a manifold in a racing part website claims 7bhp! (www.racebreed.com I think).

Steve.

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info steve,that crack seems to be it,s weakness. however your suggestion that they only produce 7 bhp really surprised me.i am going to check out that web site you mentioned.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The manifold used by tdi is probably the HKS KANSAI one www.kansaiss.co.jp
How was the performance of the tdi evo? was it impressive?

A very nice manifold is the bozz speed one.
Have a look at www.bozz.co.jp

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maxi,

Never saw the thing driven, just saw the rolling road printout - something around 380 bhp/330lb-ft, although the start of the meaty torque band was unsurprisingly shifted up the rev range compared to normal. Apparently it had not been mapped properly first time and was slower than standard (!) but after getting this sorted the guy was happy. He did confess it was a 'bit of *******' around town.

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
STEVE or MAXI
thanks for the information. however i just want an approximate idea of the extra bhp these manifolds produce by themselves. all the examples i see in manuals always have bigger turbos and uprated induction systems.
what,s the approx. difference between the standard manifold and one of these fancy banana gismoes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will not notice a significant gain of power or torque with an uprated manifold. It is only useful if you get a turbine kit anyway. 7 to 10 bhp sounds about right to me, maybe only 5 or 3. It looks nice, I would get one with a bigger turbo, but not just on its own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts