Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this sounds a bit daft (especially after having owned 2 GSR spec Evo's to date).

How would I be able to tell if my AYC system was stepping in to save my bacon ?

If its really obvious when it is, then I am obviously some sort of chicken **** driver who has never pushed it hard enough !!

Feedback appreciated ???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
continuing on this thread, as it doesn't reduce the engine power output like a traction control system
then if it does 'step in', where does the power go instead...?
i am keen to know the answer as well

andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andrew,
AFAIK, it doesn't reduce power, it just redirects the available power (or torque to be more precise ;)) to the wheel that is spinning least.

TT7,
I wouldn't know what it feels like coz I haven't got it. Sorry.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
andy

that what i was thinking...i think theres a name for..transfers power to wheel that spinning less...oh yeah lsd
wow a computer controlled lsd
lsd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can anyone answer my original question ?

Still dont know the answer ??

Come on chaps, its not often I ask something technical......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry,
Just thought I'd try and hijack the thread!!!!! But unfortunately I've never felt it kick in because I don't have it in my RSX. I've been in a few Evo 6's but never felt the AYC kick in either if that helps???

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have felt it kick in hard a few times and its sorta scary at first as its an unusual feeling, sorta like the car takes over for a second.. feels like the car start's to direct the steering from the back end..

Thats all I can say really..You should notice it kick in if u hammer it around a wet roundabout at 80mph ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got my dads evo 7 with ayc completly sideways at 150 km an hour when exit an high speed corner this was done on power with standard car also the yoko 0048 were used.

ayc is not as bad as it seems but i do prefer a normal lsd because the feel with the car is much better.

next test is a wet road with ayc

regards

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It all depends what car you have. If it is a 6, then the 1 experience I have is that just as the back end is about to snap out and you are ready to apply opposite lock, all of a sudden the car is understeering! If you then floor it, the back steps out again. Very wierd! With a 7, I haven't felt it at all.

Andre

You hooligan :D :D
I think you need to give a health warning with comments like that - this should not be tried at home! . Not all of us have your driving skills :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AYC doesn't reduce the power output, just where the power is being applied to. It is capable of doing (0% - 100%) to (100% - 0%) between the rear wheels and anything in between. This also goes for the VII only, since I am not that familiar with the pre VII models. They basically use it for the steering of the rear end until too much, when it works as the stabilizer.

What happens is that when you start increasing your steering angle, AYC start to send more power/torque to the outside read wheel. ACD at the same time gets more and more open, so the power goes wherever is easier to spin the tires (in this case the goal is outside rear again). In the most extreme case, you might have most of the power going to that outside wheel so you can do donuts :) The more you turn, front end steers more with the turned wheels, while the rear end gets more out due to less traction at the outside rear corner.

Ones you oversteer the car a bit more than your stomach likes it, you start to counter steer and that stabilize the front end of the car with the wheels turned to the opposite direction. At the same time, AYC starts sending more power to the inside wheel, which allows your outside rear to bite back. The power to the inside wheel also starts to rotate the car into the opposite direction, so it helps to stop original rotation (or spin) and brings the car back under the control.

Hope this helps.

Fedja

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it is not very noticable in the VII :D, i have been on track few times with my 7 and i have had the car more sideways than i have ever managed before and still keep it on track. i have also spun the car once or twice because i was going too quick. i have not felt it really interfer with the driving at all yet. i have driven and almost lost a 6 on track and when it kicked it i really did not know where the back end was or what it was doing!! very disturbing really.

sam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts