Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is probably lots on this subject but can't find anything what I'm asking

Basically saw a car today that I wanna buy but I noticed that when flicking through tarmac, gravel and snow, the only light that worked was the tarmac, the other two didn't come on, does that mean the ayc pump is broken?

Premium Member
Regional Organiser
Probably means the bulbs are not working? Do all 3 come on on start up then go out and only one stay on? I think that's right on a VII-IX. On a IV-VI the AYC comes on then goes out and hopefully stays out!

Ask the seller - make sure they are not hiding anything as in the other lamps are disconnected because all 3 are on all the time that indicates a problem.

Registered
Yeah sounds like 2 bulbs removed to hide problems.

When you press once does the single light go out, then another press and light still out, then a third press the gravel light come back on? If so it may be an innocent case of broken bulbs/LEDs

Premium Member
Regional Organiser
Yeah sounds like 2 bulbs removed to hide problems.

When you press once does the single light go out, then another press and light still out, then a third press the gravel light come back on? If so it may be an innocent case of broken bulbs/LEDs
I meant to say that as well :handsup: does the top one go out for 2 presses then come back on for the third?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not all three lights come on just the tarmac ( top one ) when you scroll through the tarmac ones goes out, but the other two don't come on but as it goes back to tarmac the light comes on

Premium Member
Regional Organiser
Not all three lights come on just the tarmac ( top one ) when you scroll through the tarmac ones goes out, but the other two don't come on but as it goes back to tarmac the light comes on
Get 2 new bulbs fitted. BUT if in doubt WALK.

The thing with these cars is that any owner that looks after their car isn't going to leave that faulty for long as it will wind them up to be honest. I have a bulb gone on the speedo and it really annoys me so I am going to change the lot for LEDs soon.

Reactions: will2

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He offered to take it to a garage to get checked out so I'll take him on that, if the ayc is broken how much to fix it?

Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
Those are the ACD lights, but when there is a fault with the AYC system it shows all three lights at the same time (if it is working there is a single light showing the current selection) so what they've done is removed the gravel and snow bulbs so only the tarmac is left visible. They've done this deliberately to mask a fault AYC\ACD system. I'd walk away as who knows what else is wrong with it. Not fixing faulty AYC is one thing but going to that effort to hide the fault from a buyer is something else.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aidy - surely when you scroll through the travel light would stay on even if they took the bulbs out?

Premium Member
Regional Organiser
He offered to take it to a garage to get checked out so I'll take him on that, if the ayc is broken how much to fix it?
Like Aidy says get them to fix it or WALK.

it will be between 拢500 and a grand I reckon.

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=429057&highlight=ayc+refurbish

This is just for the AYC pump NOT the ACD. Also IF you don't know what we are on about. Need to do a lot more reading up and that before buying one of these to be honest. There are loads of decent cars about with decent owners if you are patient.

Premium Member
I recently had my ayc pump rebuilt, the price varies depending on fault
If its just a standard rebuild because of corrosion then it was 400 (at mitsiart) (on a 7-9)
Mine cost 650 as needed to replace elec motor and a solenoid also

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright I phone the guy tomorrow and arrange for it to be repaired or taken off the price of the car

Premium Member
Regional Organiser
Alright I phone the guy tomorrow and arrange for it to be repaired or taken off the price of the car
I'd say knock a grand off to be sure.

Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
Aidy - surely when you scroll through the travel light would stay on even if they took the bulbs out?
It takes a bit of driving for the three lights to come on, if you checked the modes within 10 minutes of starting the car the three lights won't be on yet, it'll cycle as normal. If he has offered to get if fixed first then there's nothing wrong with waiting, but I wouldn't pin your hopes on it. Best case is around 拢500 for a second hand or reconditioned pump, worst case (ie getting Mitsubishi to fix it) is 拢2.5k. When he gets the bill he might just wait for someone else to buy it who hasn't spotted there is an issue. An evo without AYC is like a girl without boobs, anyone who has an evo and drives it without spending to get the AYC fixed is just a car I wouldn't want as they're obviously skimping on maintenance.

This is just for the AYC pump NOT the ACD.
There's only one pump, it runs AYC and ACD.

Premium Member
My ayc is faulty at the moment and you cannot select the modes all lights stay on regardless of what you press

What cookie said is correct
It's likely the lamps gave gone (bulbs you plant in the ground)

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
My ayc is faulty at the moment and you cannot select the modes all lights stay on regardless of what you press
That's what happened to mine and the pump was well and truly goosed.

I bought a refurbished unit with billet solenoids for 拢900 with 12 months warranty and an exchange on my old pump refunded.

So not cheap, but not a huge problem to get changed if it is the pump and you get a good price off the car (as long as the rest of the car is good and what you want).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts