Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm in the middle of trying to get into my AYC pump and wanted to ask about a crack in the lip of the bottom section that seals to the mid section (pic attached). How problematic is this? I ask as I am struggling to separate these two parts and do not want to risk breaking a chunk of the housing off.

Also, one solenoid has corroded to the retainer...does anyone know of a trick to try and free both.

Thanks
Ed
IMG_1822.jpg
IMG_1823.jpg

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it’s pretty much scrap 🙈
Cause of the crack or corrosion? Regarding the crack, I’ve seen people cut into a fair amount of the housing and still manage to repair it. obviously it ends up looking pretty ugly but if it then works...the inside doesn’t actually look too bad

·
Climate Changer
4,220 Posts
Both. Have you got it apart yet? There will be loads of oxidation dust/crumbs inside. I would massively doff my cap to you if you can save that.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm definitely going to try! Was just after tips in trying to separate the two sections a bit before committing to cutting into it

·
Climate Changer
4,220 Posts
Fair play to you
What is stopping it coming apart will be the long bolts that are corroded solid along the length of the casing body
I wouldn’t bother with penetration fluid if it was me I would carefully introduce some hydrochloric acid down the shanks of the bolts and into the cracks
It has many uses trust me you want the 36% stuff also known as brick cleaner
Do it outside and wear gloves
I use it in many different ways in the work I do mainly for stripping zinc off old bolts etc

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
Got to ask, why? Way too much effort when there are better ones readily available.

·
Premium Member
10,758 Posts
Fair play for having a go but if it was me I’d source a new one or at least a fully refurbished one.

Good luck though 👍

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
I was under the impression they are big money to buy even if second hand...
Well they’re not cheap, but then neither will repairing one that’s so far gone. Buy a good refurb and enjoy years of trouble free motoring with it. The one you have is shot, to pieces. 👍🏼😂

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fair play to you
What is stopping it coming apart will be the long bolts that are corroded solid along the length of the casing body
I wouldn’t bother with penetration fluid if it was me I would carefully introduce some hydrochloric acid down the shanks of the bolts and into the cracks
It has many uses trust me you want the 36% stuff also known as brick cleaner
Do it outside and wear gloves
I use it in many different ways in the work I do mainly for stripping zinc off old bolts etc
thanks for the idea. Would you suggest cutting away some of the bolt housing to expose them (I've seen people do this to help try and separate the two sections of the pump) to do this or just from the top and let it work its way down?

·
Climate Changer
4,220 Posts
First off be careful with HCL it's pretty nasty stuff with regards skin burns. Make sure you purchase 36% acid that is the highest strength joe public can buy

For an example... you can put a 20mm alloy washer/spacer in the acid and a few mins later it will be a 5mm alloy washer/spacer. If you just use a sensible amount of it on the bolt shanks etc, it should with a capillary action seep down inside and free off the oxidation around the steel parts. So long as you don't submerge the pump in the acid overnight (there would be no alloy left in the morning) you will be fine.

I'm sure a few of us are dying to see what's left inside your pump now, so please don't let us down

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
the crack is common, doesnt affect the pump working but where its cracked aroun dthe threaded part is what holds the long motor bolt, so this would need welding back on as it will come off

also if it gets welded you need to have the pumps very clean being cast alloy holds dirt, which then starts getting expensive as every port needs tro be blocked off so no dirt gets inside as well as the check valve needs removing

what evo is it?

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the crack is common, doesnt affect the pump working but where its cracked aroun dthe threaded part is what holds the long motor bolt, so this would need welding back on as it will come off

also if it gets welded you need to have the pumps very clean being cast alloy holds dirt, which then starts getting expensive as every port needs tro be blocked off so no dirt gets inside as well as the check valve needs removing

what evo is it?
Evo V. that's good to know about the crack. if I get all sections separated, the plan will be to clean it as much as possible. If I do manage to fix it and get it back together again, would it be possible to media blast it before respraying/protecting it again? I work at a school and have recently discovered the DT department have one.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
current progress made - managed to remove the corroded retainer that locks the solenoids in place. One came out easily, the other still doesn't want to budge.
With the pump, the DT teacher and I have ground away some of the bolt housing in order to try and free up the bolts a bit instead of the hydrochloric acid idea. One of them seems to show signs of rotating all the way to where it's threaded with the help of mole grips so I am confident I'll be able to get that one out soon. The other one seems slightly less up for moving.
IMG_1843.jpg
IMG_1844.jpg
IMG_1851.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
issue with media blasting is anything getting inside can cause issues, so unless your confident that 0% media gets in then yeah, but it only takes one bit of grit to circulate before eveything is destroyed

no offence but you have proper gone to town trying to get those bolts out lol,

if solenoid sdnaps these an be rebuilt to be made stronger as well

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
issue with media blasting is anything getting inside can cause issues, so unless your confident that 0% media gets in then yeah, but it only takes one bit of grit to circulate before eveything is destroyed

no offence but you have proper gone to town trying to get those bolts out lol,

if solenoid sdnaps these an be rebuilt to be made stronger as well
Thanks for the info on media blasting, perhaps I'll leave that idea. If I get it fixed, I'd like to fork out and buy the relocation kits Auto Torque sell.

I've seen some repaired ones where the bolts are exposed the entire length so am not too concerned to be honest.

Solenoid annoyingly has snapped inside the pump. I've removed the pin from it and it looks like it has simply snapped at the neck due to the corrosion at the top of where it sits in the pump. Do you think there is anyway I can try and get it out before having to potentially drill it out?

The idea of drilling it out came from here acd solenoid-how does it attach? - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community but would like to avoid this if possible

Thanks again for the advice

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
drilling is a no go

as you will end up getting swarf inside the ports and between the port and neck

any damage to the pump for valves will allow fluid to pass which can cause the pump to lose pressure quicker or not hold pressure

try soaking it for a couple of days in something and using mole grips to twits it to break the seal and pull, but not to tight as you will breack the neck even more

·
Premium Member
10,686 Posts
drilling is a no go

as you will end up getting swarf inside the ports and between the port and neck

any damage to the pump for valves will allow fluid to pass which can cause the pump to lose pressure quicker or not hold pressure

try soaking it for a couple of days in something and using mole grips to twits it to break the seal and pull, but not to tight as you will breack the neck even more
Thanks for the info on media blasting, perhaps I'll leave that idea. If I get it fixed, I'd like to fork out and buy the relocation kits Auto Torque sell.

I've seen some repaired ones where the bolts are exposed the entire length so am not too concerned to be honest.

Solenoid annoyingly has snapped inside the pump. I've removed the pin from it and it looks like it has simply snapped at the neck due to the corrosion at the top of where it sits in the pump. Do you think there is anyway I can try and get it out before having to potentially drill it out?

The idea of drilling it out came from here acd solenoid-how does it attach? - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community but would like to avoid this if possible

Thanks again for the advice
Buy refurbished pump of Richy, he’s been doing them years and knows his stuff. Much much better idea.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts