Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my rear AYC/diff is giving up...a loud clonking from the off-side rear wheel when coasting slowly (not when on the power or brakes) Brakes/suspension & CV joint look fine & the noise is frequent (i.e about 8 times, every complete revolution of the wheel)

Maybe its just me but the rear end also feels like its on ice round corners, & dragging when in a straight line...

So if this is the case, what are my options?

AYC/diff upgrades (I cant justify/afford full RS setup!)

Cheers!
M.

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
DD a new evo 8mr unit which is 30/40% stronger than the evo6 units is £2200 new from me . so long as you fit a evo 7 or later rear diff you have the stronger unit . the crown wheel has a larger bolt centre and is stronger metal than the evo 5/6 units . if you want to run ayc make sure you look changing the diff oil every time you do a track day as the amount is very small and it can soon become out of grade .

dave

look @ paying around 6/700 quid for a good second hand 7/8 ayc diff .

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
possible but they are expensive @ around 1200quid . then i would recommend you drill a couple of large holes in the ayc case to use all the casing for a oil reserve. this way you stop over heating of the diff oil .

hope this helps

dave

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
evo400 said:
DD a new evo 8mr unit which is 30/40% stronger than the evo6 units is £2200 new from me . so long as you fit a evo 7 or later rear diff you have the stronger unit . the crown wheel has a larger bolt centre and is stronger metal than the evo 5/6 units . if you want to run ayc make sure you look changing the diff oil every time you do a track day as the amount is very small and it can soon become out of grade .

dave

look @ paying around 6/700 quid for a good second hand 7/8 ayc diff .
Am I reading this right? An Evo 8 rear TC will drop into an Evo6? Nothing is wrong with my AYC but I am interested in changing to the RS rear TC. I am also assuming this goes the same for US spec Evo's cause it is cheaper for me to get a US Spec TC.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Are there any tests I can do to see whats up? (get all 4 wheels off the ground & turn them?)

Might have to take it to Mitsu & get them to do it...(then buy the parts myself & get them fitted elsewhere!)

Also, as its not ****ing out AYC fluid everywhere, can I just get new internals...?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts