Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondered if anyone out there had any knowledge or experience of radar detectors and the like. i am on 10 points and with 18 months before any get removed and the current climate of taxing, sorry i mean fining, motorists i wondered if any body had any ideas. on the speed trap bible site they reckon all radar detectors are about useless.the wife will leave me if i put anymore on her licence, by the im not totally reckless ,the last 4 points were on a dual lane road with a 40 limit and the copper gunned me 935 yards away on a long straight. ive since spoken to5 people who have been done on the same stretch of road.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They now have those gps based detectors that give you ample warning before you reach a gatzo...and you can update the gps database through your PC. If you manage to find one that combines this gps technology with the normal radar detector function you will be pretty safe from the odd rozzer speed gun. Uniden make pretty good ones, but you have to make sure you buy one of the latest models as the plod always uses different frequencies. One other thing to try is maybe slow down in places you know are well patrolled by the fuzz...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
around here its pretty rural, cameras arent as big a problem as radar guns and unmarked cars. i read a piece that tested all the top radar detectors some costing £500 |PLS| and the coppers pointed their laser guns right at them from a few feet away and none of them made a sound.around most areas i observe the limits totally but on open a roads and the like its nice to open it up a bit. ive a decent knowledge of local hotspots but ive heard of a dtector that acts like a tracker and detects where you are and if theres any traps approaching and signals you accordingly. anyone else know about this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Riddy,

I think you're talking about the Geodesy system that uses a gps system to work out where you are in relation to their database of fixed camera positions. It doesnt AFAIK deal with mobile speed traps, and I guess you'll need to decide whether your biggest risk is from Gatsos or guns. Theres been a lot of previous posts on this topic - try searching the name Geodesy.

Darryl.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get yourself a laser diffuser they are the db's.check out www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk for more info

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
silver 7
checked out the site , many thanks.

i take it you have one. where did you fit it.?. does it just warn against being gunned from the front or can it warn against rear speed cameras too.have you experienced it working. if you were gunned and the copper got no reading could they pull you and find the thing , then what ?. dont want to sound negative but it sounds too good to be true.

riddy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I havent checked the link, but I know there are laser things you can build into your car that will keep the laser gun from getting a reading. Problems:
they can pull you over and check
sometimes, depending on how good a detector you have, it will only avoid the first reading, when the laser gun emits the second set of rays, it will get a reading. Make sure you get a very good thing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My old man has a Target Echo 850 and it seems to work fine. It warns you of a laser, bleeps, then gives you 6 seconds to get your speed down. When the filth go for another attempt (6 seconds after the first) your doing the legal limit. It scrambles the first laser 'hit' and causes an error on Mr Piggy's device, when it 'works' the second time he is happy enough with his equipment so he doesn't pull you over.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got a beltronics 550 which is just the dogs, doesn’t work on the forward facing ones though :(

I've also tried a snooper, here is my review of it ITS CRAP , so stay away from it, spend your money on custard and smear it on your forehead, you'll get better detection.....

The beltronics does detect lasers very well, in fact I've been hit by 8 in the past 2 months (no exaggeration), always while driving on the M3/4/25. Each time I was doing around the speed limit (stuck in traffic) so no worries.

The use of laser defusers is a little dodgy in the UK though, you may find that el plod get a little suspect when they can't get a lock on your car, this might lead to them pulling you over and investigating .... this (if I understand correctly) might lead to you getting done as the defuser sends a signal out i.e. it isn't passive (some law on transmitting I presume), anyone know of any cases around this?

Def.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is of course another option..... Don't speed excessively. Sounds like you can't afford to take any chances.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I may post a thread saying 'How to cope with a ban' as I am 4 months through a 6 monther ! Bastrd Fiking Magistrates !!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
does perversing ( surely you mean perverting) the course of justice carry points or just a slapped wrist .
i actually know a traffic cop whos a biker and hes mad as f**k , but the ones ive ever been stopped by are emotion less morons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts