Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has just phoned to say that she has put normal 96ron unleaded in the car by mistake:( :( - £7 worth but tank was not empty (red light not on) I have asked her to find the nearest Shell garage and fill up with Optimax (normal fuel) Will this have caused any damage:(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
will be fine, before i found this site, i was running my car for about 2 weeks on normal unleaded (on the dealer recommendation)

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO I would think the car will be fine as long as she doesn't use full boost and revs the nuts off it :D
Just fill the tank back up with Optimax/Sul asap.

Not quite sure but does the ECU not back things off a bit when it detects lower ron fuel being used ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll be OK as long as its not driven too hard.
The ECU will detect knock and back off the ignition timing to prevent any serious problems.
As a last resort, putting in a few quids worth of normal UL shouldn't cause any problems as long as you get back onto SUL / Optimax ASAP.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah,

no probs. Have had to drive mine on 95ron after turning up at garage on m5 with tank totally empty (red light on for 30 miles) to find they had no SUL. Even got my best economy figures (26mpg) as i was driving so carefully.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 95ron is not the better fuel you can get for the evo, but don't worry that much.
Just put the best fuel you can get, but If you have to put 95ron it won't make any problems, especially with a standard evo!

In Italy they only have 95ron, except the vpower(shell optimax) and there are a lot of evos using it and driving them hard without any problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You let your wife drive it!!!!, in my case that would be far more serious than putting normal unleaded in it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another chance of whacking an FAQ on here :)

Q: What is the best fuel to use?
A: Ralliart only recommend the use of Super Unleaded (97 RON) in all Evolution models in the UK. The Evolutions are built for the Japanese home market and as such the cars would normally use 100 RON fuel (they do have up to 105 RON). The engine management in the Evolutions can adapt to lower octane fuels but performance will be reduced slightly to prevent detonation or knocking. The higher the octane fuel you use the less chance that knocking will occur. There are new fuels coming on the EU market that are slightly higher rated (Shell Optimax is guaranteed at 98 RON but typically 98.6 RON) so using those should in theory improve performance slightly over normal Super Unleaded.
The official advice from Ralliart is do not use 95 RON Premium Unleaded unless in an emergency. If you have to fill up with 95 RON Unleaded for any reason then drive carefully until you get a chance to fill up with 97 RON Super Unleaded again. Ralliart do not recommended the use of Octane Boosters even in an emergency.
It has been suggested that driving for long periods on 95 RON Unleaded can possibly lead to damage of the engine, however Evos are run in countries without major problems where the maximum rating of fuel available is only 93 RON (e.g. Greece, China and the West Indies).
Do not use 4 Star or Lead Replacement Petrol, it may have a higher Octane Rating but it contains additives that can damage the Catalytic Converter and the Lambda (oxygen) sensor.
To find the availability and price of Super Unleaded in your area then look here: http://www.Ispypetrol.com (note not all petrol stations are listed).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why don't Ralliart recomend using octane boost?

I use Wynns in my modded scoob at the mo with no probs (touching wood).

Jeremy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to say that the ispypetrol.com service has been suspended due to a lack of cash - they need a sponsor to continue.

Pity, it was one of the best things on the net, and I mean that sincerely. If there is ever a realistic micropayment system on the go I'd be happy to spend 25p or something just to check up every now and again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts