Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He, He He

BEWARE OF IMPORTS SAY MITSUBISHI
Europe spec cars differ from grey imports
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/newsfeed/singlestory.asp?storyId|EQU|1420

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Haven't read it but I think there will be differences on the Jap and UK Evo VII but there certainly not any differences worth mentioning on the Jap and UK Evo VI or earlier models.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard that the earlier Jap Imports do actually have structural differences, when tested against crash standards. The standards in Jap Pre95 were different from those say for example in the US.

There was a huge moan from people in Japan around 93-95 and since then the standards for crashes have been comparable with the US at least....I am posting this without reading the article, so I may be way off from what they are talking about though http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

But seeing as most people here have E4's and up, what I am talking about shouldn't concern many people here....mine just missed out I rekon ('95 E3)...but hey I say the aim of the game is to stay out of the way of hard walls, and other objects that will do damage [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think some are missing the point about the difference.
the diffrence being the emmission control for europe compared to japan.
Whether ,mitsi make all the cars destined for an open market with the european controls.
Or whether they will be seperated from the jap and other world markets.
Probobly best to get it in writing that the E7 that you buy is upto european emmision standard ,other wise it may cost you dearly when you try to sell it as a grey.
We all know what a balls ache the recalls have been ,and no one is safe to sell there car unless they have it in writing that their car is clear or the ecu has been replaced.E4/E5s
But having said this ,Im sure a decat pipe will be installed along with other mods when those with an E7 get bored.

cheers

Paul s

cheers

paul shaw

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Surely getting an SVA ticket means that emissions aren't an issue ? (and I never heard of any of the grey E6's having a problem with their SVA).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Import through Ireland and you don't even need an SVA just an MOT certificate. I'm not suggesting you do this though.

It makes sense for such a low output volume car to be produced to pass the emissions and safety standards for the most stringent countries test as it saves having differing versions. If a car can pass Jap emissions then it should pass European tests with out a problem. American (especially CA) tests are a whole new kettle of fish though hence no Evo imports to the US.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The grey market is probobly as big or bigger than ralliat's market share.
So a little scare mongering,will at least get through to those who are buying an Evo for the 1st time.
Any way who the MOT is only due 3 years later.by which time you can always borrow and exhaust from a ralliart car.
Unless the emmission controling is done via an ECU hahahaha !!!

cheers

Paul s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've heard that official evos are undersealed for our crappy salted roads (when the Council have some left over), and greys are not.

Is this true? I know that Ralliart publish that the air con for offical cars are re-mapped for our climate! Bo**cks!

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well any decent import firm will underseal a grey import as standard anyway, if they haven't then don't buy it simple as that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aye, HH6 is spot on there regarding the undersealing.

The only air-con related official / grey difference I've heard of is that the grey's don't have ducting which takes the warm air to the rear footwells. This might be the 'remapping' business and a case of something being lost in the translation.

Cheers,

Eric

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Eric,
Yeah the ducting to the rear seats is part of the Cold Weather pack and includes a few other things such as bigger battery, wiper motor circuit breaker and heated wing mirrors (thats all I can remember at the moment).
My grey import E6 GSR has the heated mirrors and I'm sure it has the ducting as the floor as it is very lumpy (technical description there!) not sure of the rest but I have not had any problems in the cold weather anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Officially imported Evo VII in Europe will pass EuroIII emissions test. Evo VIs were far from passing them and the European VIIs will probably still announce the official 280hp, but will not reach the real number (around 300hp).

Regarding emissions, I'm not that sure EuroIII is much easier than American EPA regulations. Don't forget Subaru is bringing the Impreza WRX with 230hp (and 3 cats), which is more than the European version.

Unfortunately, the average U.S. car buyer is MUCH LESS demanding than Europeans, so there is some 'cost cutting'http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > in the American version: no aluminum front suspension arms, small wheels (16 inches), small brakes,no variable valve timing on the intake valves, smaller compressor wheel on the turbo, lower boost pressure (14.7 vs 17 in Japanese version).

I have heard from good sources that many other components components normally fitted for U.S. versions are of a much worse spec (not talking about Subaru Impreza in particular). In many countries in Europe you can drive well over 100mph for hours, while here in the U.S. you can't even think about it (well, I think Montana has no speed limit), so the cooling and lubricating system is subject to very different loads over here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's all b*ll*cks. You can by an Evo 7 in Japan today suppied with an EU emissions certificate. Undersealing? Check it out on the early Ralliart cars it's cr*p. You can do it better yourself. Speedo conversion and removing limter costs about £100. Fuel filler neck restictor about £5 less if you've got an engineering dept at work. Rear fog light £5 from Halfords. Ralliart stickers that fall off £4K.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Original Post:
Unfortunately, the average U.S. car buyer is MUCH LESS demanding than Europeans, so there is some 'cost cutting'http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > in the American version: no aluminum front suspension arms, small wheels (16 inches), small brakes,no variable valve timing on the intake valves, smaller compressor wheel on the turbo, lower boost pressure (14.7 vs 17 in Japanese version).

I have heard from good sources that many other components components normally fitted for U.S. versions are of a much worse spec (not talking about Subaru Impreza in particular). In many countries in Europe you can drive well over 100mph for hours, while here in the U.S. you can't even think about it (well, I think Montana has no speed limit), so the cooling and lubricating system is subject to very different loads over here.

[/QUOTE]

I Don't feel the the US consumer is LESS DEMANDING , but rather WE ARE NOT GIVEN THE CHOICE. In the land of the free, i can't own an EVO. I'll take just about any Evo5-7 that I could get my hands on. I would take a Nissan Gti-R, or Skyline GT-R for that matter. The thing is, we don't get them, and when we do, they are de-tuned. Will I still buy an EVO7 when it comes to the states? YES, But I WANT everything that is offered to my overseas counterparts. We don't have a LARGE Grey Market, so we take what we can get.

Charles

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the main reason why england and europe have such a high grey import market is because we like rallying and countries such as american just arn't that fanatic about as europeans are. Also in england becuase we drive on the same side as the japanese it easy to import evo's and skyline why do you think we have the only skyline dealer in england outside japan. I'm sure most american would laugh at a 2 litre turbo and go for a big v8 power rust bucket?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RiceRocket,

I don't want to start a war between U.S. and European cars or drivers.

I'm not saying that every European driver is more demanding than every American driver, but it's a fact that the general case is true, so cars are specced accordingly. Why would you fit a car with a lubricating system designed to work at 140mph cruising speed if it is never going to cruise over 85 mph?

It's not only my opinion, it's the manufacturers who think that way, and it's a fact (from their own words) that they fit lower spec parts in cars that are theoretically the same on both sides of the Atlantic. Try stripping a U.S. Mitsubishi 3000GT and the European equivalent, and you'll see what I mean.

Here in the US, a sports cars is a status symbol more than anywhere else: you are going to cruise at 80mph no matter what car you drive. I live in Florida but travel often to the West Coast, and it's pathetic to see the average driver of Porsches, or even Ferraris. Given that the US market is the bigger one for these brands, and getting bigger every year, it's not surprising new versions are 'softer' than the ones they replace. The new buyer demands a nice and fully-equipped interior, even if it adds a few hunded extra pounds of weight. Motorsports is considered a '*******' entertainment anyway.

I have rented a variety of American cars in the past few months (I haven't decided whether to bring my Evo VI or order the U.S. Impreza WRX), and again, in general they are not up to the standards of European cars, in terms of handling and braking.

In my last visit to Spain a couple of weeks ago I got stopped by the cops (they were coming in the opposite direction) in an old rally stage driving my Evo quite fast. Even worse, my passeneger was not wearing his seatbelt because he was trying to grab something from the back seat. The cops asked for our documentation (my friend found out he did not have his with him), and after the usual radio checks they started asking about the car and rallying in general. They let us go and asking us not to drive so fast. If the same had happened to me here I would be sending this e-mail from jail.

Andy, Skylines are imported to the US, a private company went through the hasle of homologation. I don't know much about the company, but it's suspicious that they happen to be in the same location as Nissan U.S. headquarters... Anyway, the price tag is ourageous.

Regards,
Rallyman

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how much are skylines in american?
i do apologise for the wrong information i have provided.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts