Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to change my E4 for an E6 and have had my induction kit and dump valve removed to return the car to standard. The car is now noticeably quicker, really pulling harder at higher revs. I guess it is holding the boost better with the standard dump valve. In fact it feels so much better I've even thought about keeping it!

The question is how much difference do mods really make and are they worth it? It's easy to get carried away when the car is making all sorts of noises (I miss those already) and convince yourself it feels quicker, but is it really? After all most rally Evo's retain the standard air filter and dump valve.

Anyway, I think I'll keep my new car standard..... for a while http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
did you have a new exhaust as you could be getting more air in and the presssure up with the dump valve but this is not being pushed out fasternuff the other end or that it needed to be setup to deal with the induction kit?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andy, I think that may well have been the case, but the point is don't you think that sometimes it's easy to get carried away with mods and not actually notice that it's had a negative effect on performance because most of things only make a small difference. It's probably a psychological thing, a bit like how you feel your car is losing power after getting used to it's performance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
negative effect are usual due to back pressure build but it can be psychological usual just after you've spent a lot of money and there feels to be no real gain it doesn't help your bank balance or your ego. Simple mods don't usually make a difference without the big mods later but it can all add up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its also matter of putting on the correct mods. An induction kit and extractor exhaust go together. Logically if you pump more air into an engine then you need to suck it out just as effectively.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have found from tinkering with lots of car and motorcycle engines that everything is a compromise.

For example, I design and manufacture my own two stroke exhausts for my kart (nothing too fancy but they work). If I want outright power, I can design this in, but will also get a very narrow power band which is right up the rev range. On the circuit when in the power band, it's noticably quicker than karts I'm normally even with - the down side is that the other karts leave me out of the corners as it's a struggle to keep the engine on the boil. By lengthening the exhaust, I reduce the power output but now have a much wider power band lower down in the rev range which makes the karts lap times quicker.

With a lot of aftermarket parts, you will get more power from the engine, however your compromise could be a loss of low down tractability.

Always remember - you don't get anything for nothing. Mitsi have developed a package that gives incredible traction from 2k upwards, why compromise it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess like always. if those that have it , change it. Giving those that don,t have it inspiration.
It would just be an everyday boring Vectra.

cheers

Paul s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, Mild mods are definitely worth it. Before I purchased my 6 , I tried a standard
5 and 6 and they seem to start to run out of steam at 6500 rpm.
The 6 I purchased already had a HKS induction kit and super drager exhaust ( CAT
still present ) and the car will pull right to the rev limit.
If you want to run more boost, by whatever means, you'd better think about
upgrading the bottom end. ARP con-rod bolts , at least.

-Mr Mime

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No matter how much we spend on upgrading our car, we will never recover our money when dispose the car. Unfortunatey being car lovers like we are we do indulge in spending money to make the car better. Basic mods., I guess are OK like upgrading the exhaust/induction systems. We have to take the mods., step by step as there is no end to it when it comes to modifications. I have been very careful in upgrading my Evo-5. The first thing I would do is to upgrade the exhaust/induction system as I agree that the car runs out of boost at around 6,000-6,500rpm. I need to sustain the power delivery all the way to redline. I am also looking at ways to reduce heat in the engine like fitting bigger radiator and intercooler.
I will try not to touch the internals of the engine as far as I can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts