Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a Cyl head rebuild, Everything new, Head, rockers, cams. Got new lash adjusters from Indigo GT. Only thing from old head is HKS pulleys.

Been told that the head is noisey (tappet sound) once put together and started-up.

Anyone got an informed opinion????

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
i sold billy his cams and i have jun 272 again, without a doubt they sound **** lol, ive replaced the lash adjusters 3 x trying to find the noise and realised in the end after putting standard cams back, its the cams, so dont worry, they work well :D

·
Keep er lit!
4,202 Posts
i sold billy his cams and i have jun 272 again, without a doubt they sound **** lol, ive replaced the lash adjusters 3 x trying to find the noise and realised in the end after putting standard cams back, its the cams, so dont worry, they work well :D
what makes the juns noisy over any of the rest of 272s??

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
its the ramp rate and shape of the lobe i guess, just cos a cam is 272 its only the duration of timing that it lasts for, it says nothing about the shape of the lobe, get a pair of hks and jun 272 side by side, you will see massive difference

·
Keep er lit!
4,202 Posts
its the ramp rate and shape of the lobe i guess, just cos a cam is 272 its only the duration of timing that it lasts for, it says nothing about the shape of the lobe, get a pair of hks and jun 272 side by side, you will see massive difference
ok, thought it was something lake that.
ever had any dealing with the cosworth 272s (mivec)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right Ok, was going to go for cosworth cams as it's a cosworth head I got.

Will have to see what the end result is like and how bad it is. I hate the sound of tappety engine. I sold a pair of HKS 272's as well.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thought they would be mate as Nick @ NR said they are more aggresive than the HKS.

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
yes they are much more aggressive than the hks cams, jun are quite out there, they are a little laggy but once they come on power, are really good cams. I didnt sell mine, putting them into my big engine build

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
Is the noise to do with the cams needing uprated springs? :confused:

Otherwise why would the shape of the cams, even if they're hyper aggressive, make them noisy? All they do is open and shut the valves? :confused:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
That was a while ago Jase:smthumbup The Jun cams are noisey ,but the torque and power they produce outweighs the noise :D theres a set going in my 2.3 stroker build soon ;)

Billy

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll call [email protected] and tell him not to bother looking into the noise then, I think he was looking at mapping it this week and was then going to put some time into finding out what the noise was.

Just wondering about how laggy it's gonna be. If the cames have more lag than HKS and I'm running a GT35 turbo or will some of this be overcome with the alleged head flow rates that Cosworth stipulate (26% intake/18%exhaust)

·
Registered
46,409 Posts
I'll call [email protected] and tell him not to bother looking into the noise then, I think he was looking at mapping it this week and was then going to put some time into finding out what the noise was.

Just wondering about how laggy it's gonna be. If the cames have more lag than HKS and I'm running a GT35 turbo or will some of this be overcome with the alleged head flow rates that Cosworth stipulate (26% intake/18%exhaust)
mate have u got a stroker , if u have mate dont get rid of the jun cams , gt35r and jun cams r a superb setup, even on a 2 litre it will be nice :D

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have got stroker Mo :D , this is the test now after all the grief I have had. 2nd build so fingers crossed god willing will be ok. Agra did the short block assy, 86mm CP stroker pistons, crower rods and 4g64 crank.

·
Registered
46,409 Posts
Have got stroker Mo :D , this is the test now after all the grief I have had. 2nd build so fingers crossed god willing will be ok. Agra did the short block assy, 86mm CP stroker pistons, crower rods and 4g64 crank.
lol woohooo thats a nice setup my friend, God willing its gonna rock and stick wae the juns and u shall have fun ameen :D

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Can someone please describe the 'noise' these cams make.

I have a set of Piper BP300's which are 272 and 12mm lift - I have a strange noise liking a rattling noise that comes up at around 2000rpm. Ive changed springs, retainers, rockers and lash adjusters and the noise is still there. No issue re performance. Im wondering if this is just a side effect of using aggressive cams such as the Juns.

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
It seems the rattle is part and parcel of the really aggressive cams.

Can anyone explain what it is that's rattling though? :confused:

Would solid lifters solve it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts