Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any more info on the Apexi power FC, documentation or detailed features? the apexi web site whch is usually very good for this kind of thing does have too much at all.

http://www.apexi-usa.com/electronics_fc.asp

I plan calling RC at some point but would still like to read more about it and compare with the GEMS/Link/Motec

Ta
R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have documentation in english for the Power FC Commander, that outlines all the functions and how to use the unit. File is in Adobe PDF format. let me know if you want it, though I downloaded it off the net. Try a search on Google.

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Ryan,

Please do let me know what you have found and which you have decided. I am looking to upgrade my ECU and don't know which is a good one. I have heard good things about Motec, Haltech, Link and Apexi. But don't know which is best for my stock GSR with exhaust.

Thanks.
Anthony.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
madman this debate has been ragging with me for sometime now,

I had decided that I would go GEMS or PE and maybe AVRC while I waited, now I'm looking at this.

I dismissed Motec due to cost and link due to there being only one official reseller and tuner in the UK and what I heard about him :(

though if I knew what I was doing I might have bought the links and tuned it myself, but I don't so I didn't :)

Anyway I'm getting prices right now and plan to have a chat with RC. What I've found so far makes me interested.

look at the manual and links I posted, some good info there.

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to my tuner, the Power FC is a poor man's Motec . Nothing derogatory by that statement, mind. He admits that he can find more horsepower using a Motec, but the FC is surely a competent piece of it.

He's prepped a 250 wheel-HP blown Civic that would see a stock Evo off in a straight line using a Power FC and a small turbo.

I can't wait to have my FC installed, but the RR is still broken at this point, so I'll have to be more patient for now.

Let me know how you get on if you go for the FC!

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Think I'll stick with the GEMS.

madman, why on earth do you want a programmable ECU if all you have is an exhaust??

Surely the PE remap is better idea 4 you, or one of the simpler solutions....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hesperus,
Poor man's Motec is fine with me, how much does a good motec setup cost then? I think Motec is overkill for me.

Claudius has a very good point btw

Lee,
That software is only for the PC, you can setup everything you need via the Commander, it seems though that the PC software has a few more features that ain't accessable by the commander, nothing I'll be worrying about though

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got a quote from Justin for £850|PLS|VAT for the Power FC and £354|PLS|VAT for the Commander less the 10% discount the wonderful Justin gives us :D

It seems that the boost controller isn't extra and comes with the Power FC (although only Claudius has confirmed this ;) )

I'm going to rung RC up this week (sometime honest) but first I want to compare it with the GEMS and I havn't found time to do it yet

I'll let you know

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont know if there is a boost controller with the Power FC, but the power FC (the ECU) and the FC Commander (the remote to set the ECU) are sold separately. Howeve, the price I quoted you from Fair Import includes both the Power FC and the FC Commander and was 1015 GBP including VAT and shipping to your door.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My understanding from the various websites is that it needs a boost controller as well.

The cost of a fitted and mapped Gems is £1400

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It even displays knock %, injector duty, water temp, air inlet temp etc etc on that remote control!

You can control the boost with restrictor size just like a Sports ECU, with the additional boost control unit that is an option for the Power FC or with an electronic boost controller such as the A'PEXi AVC-R. I am keeping the AVC-R to control boost very precisely over the whole rev range and will use the FC just to control ignition timing, fuel supply, air con and to get knock reading. And also to see how effective the air intake I made is, by how much the tube affects air intake temps, in short to play around a little. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey its nearly as good as the link then...but not quite.

i can confirm that my link includes closed loop boost control every 500 rpm
also has data logging
yawn

i have been enjoying checking all the engine parameters on my controller too as i drive for 6 months now, feeling jealous?

now does it have autotune?
must have closed loop knock control surely?

the air flow meter is a bit of a restriction and makes it tricky to use a vta bov...can i map sense with that?

yip the windows software is in japanese never mind 'most' parameters can be accessed through the commander

and its only twice the price

doh

andrew

ps it must have launch and al for that price...surely

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Andrew,
I don't need or want posts with crappy attitude if you have something serious to say and contribute please do, otherwise please don't bother posting, I'm feed up reading posts like this directed towards other people let alone myself.

I'd respond to some of the points you made but to be honest I really can't be bothered to.

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Andrew

You are right, the link sounds very good. But if I need to buy a laptop PC or borrow one to program my ECU, it will be much more expensive than that A'PEXi unit. I'm not going to talk about the stone age processor in the link. http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/tongue1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

How's the weather on the other side of the world? :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.