Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried the A'Pexi fc?
Will this be fine on it's own or do I need the SAFC and AVCR to complement it?
Will the SAFC and AVCR give me 350bhp and 300lb/ft running standard internals safely? (not bothered about taking the tuning any further than this)
I already have the full stainless blitz exhaust and down pipe.
Think I'm having the work done at John Noble Motorsport, anyone else had work done there?
thanks
adey

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
I have the Apex'i Power FC, but it isn't installed yet. Hopefully soon. It has been described as a poor man's Motec . Not as many parameters as a Motec, but it is considerably cheaper (at least for me here in Asia). It also comes with a baseline program for the car, so you can plug it right in and your car should run normally. Unlike a Motec which is basically a tabula rasa that needs to be set up by someone who knows how.

You do NOT need the AFC if you have the Power FC. And you will only need the AVC-R if you don't have the optional boost control module for the Power FC. I currently have the AFC and AVC-R on my car (Evo 5). Am getting 233HP at the wheels at 1.1 bar of boost with this set-up. If you are more aggessive with the boost, should be easy to go higher.

Once I have the Power FC installed, I will get rid of the AFC, but will keep the AVC-R, because I don't have the boost control module. Together with some work on my cylinder head, I hope to hit at least 280HP at the wheels at 1.0 bar boost. My internals are all stock.

Cheers! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
max at RC showed me the apexi ecu system and i will tell you this . it is bettter that the motec for us guys who like to play so many paramiters has differant maps for eco and race set up you can change just about every thing apart from water injection can run als . you can also have a remote hand set for in car set up totel price is around the £1000 markish. would put this system on par with the gems set up but ok not as good for all out raceing as the motec but then again gems is miles of motec to . but the good thing about the apexi is that you can remap the system not a dealer charging you loads .. i will be booking my car in for this unit very soon

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
max at RC showed me the apexi ecu system and i will tell you this . it is bettter that the motec for us guys who like to play so many paramiters has differant maps for eco and race set up you can change just about every thing apart from water injection can run als . you can also have a remote hand set for in car set up totel price is around the £1000 markish. would put this system on par with the gems set up but ok not as good for all out raceing as the motec but then again gems is miles of motec to . but the good thing about the apexi is that you can remap the system not a dealer charging you loads .. i will be booking my car in for this unit very soon

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Will I get 350bhp and over 320lb ft torque?
Is it safe to run this on standard internals.
RC are recommending a boost solenoid kit with uprated fuel pump and new spark plugs with the ecu for £1725.00 inc vat. Does this sound reasonable?
Do you know if they are likely to bargain on price?
Have you used RC before?
I presume they're good as they do the mods for the 340 warrender, right?

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I heard the boost selenoid that comes with the ECU is well below AVCR standard. Ask them. They gave me and other lots of advice and have always taken the time to sort things out. Ask them for a discount, I'm sure they'll round it off.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
i have a RC 400HP CAR all i can say about the power quotes of warrenders and rc is to stick them on the dyno and then make your own mind up . a lot of the bits that you are going to have fitted can be done by most good engineers they don't have to work for tunning companys .

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Evo 400,where can I find a good engineer to set up my car and fit and programme the Apexi Power Fc,that has no knowledge of tuning an Evo and is not a tuning company,would you recommend Quick Fit?

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate your sense of humour.
Why would use kwik-fit for anything, apart from the Max Power boys.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
evo 400
it will only be better than a motec or a gems because RC has told you that it is. probably because they have decided to use it. unless of course there is other features that this ecu has that makes it better, or even on the same par.

you have to remember that the other ecus have been proven in rallying over the last 10 years or so. while the power fc is very new. if they cost the same as the other leading ecus, motec, autronic, gems, link etc... i would go for the tried and tested option. but that is just my opinion.

sam

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
You dont need to spend another £3000 on displays with the FC. http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/tongue1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
And the injection and fuel maps are more precise. Read the doc, bitch. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Is the PE re-map almost the same as the Apexi fc?,or are they very different? I can't decide between the 2.
PE recommend a breather system and WRC dump valve (with big end bolt kit) for their upgrade,
RC Developments recommend the Apexi fc, uprated fuel pump and boost solenoid.
Both add up roughly to the same cost at around £1700 fitted.
Opinions please.
thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
hey dont tell me about what the rally boys do i am a rally boy and have been in and around rallying for years my wife also co drivers on many rallys here and abroad . any way gems and motec are just that rally ecus and are not very suitable for the bloke in the street tunning his 6 the rally ecus should only be fitted by the pros ie engine rally race tuners not people who get them selves a lap top and suddenly become pros gems and motec should be fitted and mapped on the engine dyno then tested on the track any one thinking they can do it on the road is haveing a laugh . ask them how many winners they have tuned ???????. this is why the apexi ecu is so good it is easy to tune with out the need to whip the engine out and dyno . this is the system i am going for . would not sugest the man with his lap top fitting gems or motec to your or any car nor would any good rally race team ...

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Look I have used the Power FC on my scooby 3 years ago so its not that new. What I can tell you is that all the fuss about the Apexi all boils down to one thing -- its allows you to fully map every perimeter of your car using all the standard sensors. So the good part is that you can just swap it with your stock ECU and tune it straight away and the bad part is that if one of the sensors blow, you can't start your car. As for a Motec or Autronics, you might get cold start problems, air-con problems but it can be sorted out if you get a very dedicated tuner. And of course you can run your car at more extreme output levels without blowing your engine.

BUT, if you are running standard internals and turbo, Motec won't give you a noticeable edge over the Apexi. Hope this helps you guys ...

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
evo400
obviously you know every thing about the ecus, and like to settle for second best. so what ever rocks your boat mate ;). i just can't see the logic. you are saying the only way you can map a motec and autronic is on an engine dyno, but willing to give full control of your engine to the power fc? surely that will also will need to be mapped on an engine dyno ?

jspeed
the autronic and the link are both Pnp boards that will fit into the standard ecu box and use all the standard engine parameters. you will only need to run a map sensor though as the evo don;t have one. you should not have any issues with colds starts and a/c etc, if mapped correctly. i have run link in my car for 2 years and the car start every day and had no problems not what so ever.

one of the issues that i have with the power fc, is the fact you can't data log. and the fact you will be running off the maf. which is a consumable at this kind of boost level.

personally i would get a power fc if the price was right and the same rule applies for pe remap. for 600-700£ that should be a fair price for both of them. i am sure you can get unichip for the same kind of money. but the silly money they are charging for it is just puts them in the same range as link, autronic, and they just are not as good.

that is my opinion and by no means am i trying to say that this is the only way you can do things.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Sam

To my knowledge, the Autronics is not like that. No offence mate, but if you are running Autronics piggyback on the standard ECU, its because you got a lazy tuner who doesn't know how to or has the time to sort out the cold start and climate control problems. Its not the way you are supposed to run it to get the most out of the system.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
Krautie, whats your point. I don't pretend to be technically gifted,(I just have a need for speed) that's why I posed the question.:)

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
oh dear and i was starting to like you mate :D ;) no offence taken.

i thought we all had the same level of knowledge about the various ecus. the autronic has got the smc and sm2 which are a standalone ecus that you will need a full wiring loom to get it connected to the ecu. same as the link plus, and the motec m4 and m8.

there are car specific ecu boards that fit instead of you standard ecu board so these are not piggy backs either. these are manily used in gpN as i think you used to/ maybe still need to run the standard ecu box. these are autronics, link.

there is also the motec m48 which is a piggy back ecu as in it does not have ISC and there for uses the standard ecu for that.

all the above have anti lag as standard or optional as well as launch control.

there is also the unichip which is also a piggy back ecu that has very good potential but is limited to |PLS|/-50% changes

most of the above ecu will run other things like WI and water spray if you want too.

the power fc which i have seen and seen all the menus for it on a skyline running 500bhp. i even know a guy who bought the serial cable to connect it to a pc plus the software. now do you know how much that cost him? i do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sam

1 - 20 of 24 Posts