Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of different disc's including Brembo and 2 piece AP, I'd had enough. After Ralliart refunding the last lot I went for a AP 6 Pot Conversion and can report my warping is no more. The stopping power is also much improved, I can now brake from over 100 to 0 with my hands not even on the wheel, and it's as steady as a rock.

With this in mind and the reports of hub issues I believe the problem is surely with the caliper. I'd agree better disc's like Dragon can help if not cure the problem but in my case the only change to my previous setup has been the caliper. The AP disc's are slightly bigger with the bells being larger but not a huge difference. This only the leaves the caliper.

I will report again after a few hundred more miles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Chuck,

I'm happy that you are clear of any problems, but I'd be interested to hear how you think the calipers are to blame?

cem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that the standard calipers are ok,and the dragon or similar set up is a really good solution.
But for someone that would like to improve the brakes and want to spend some money the ap racing kits should be really good!I think that as the standard 6 pot kit uses 330 discs and costs about 1500£,If you have 18 inches rims It's much better to go for the different 6 pot caliper with 362 discs for less than 1900£.

I'm also surprised that everybody uses standard pads or mintex pads,as there are many others to try,not only to see the braking power but also the squealing!
I have tryed the pagid black pads with the standard discs,when they were used,and the braking power was really improved and with the anti noise shims of the brembo pads the squealing was not too bad!
They kept good braking power even when the discs were red,but as I insist the standard discs just warped!!!

Now I have project µ brake pads,the less racing ones,and separate bell drilled and grooved CTF discs(the european importer for project µ in Italy)that are similar to the dragon discs,and goodrige hoses.The discs became red a few times but no warping for the moment.
The pads are not much better than the standard ones,but they don't squeal and don't use the disc too much.

What about the other pagids and ferodo racing ds 2000 or ds 3000?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ds 3000 will shag youre wheels but braking power is awesome
ds 2000 has not the braking power you need

performance friction metallic z rated pads are also ok but not like 3000 or pagid black

i now try pagid black and cut down them with 8 mm just like the mintex pads on reskimmend group n discs

regards

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chuck,

Your conclusion about the standard Brembo calipers must be the wright one.

For over a few months now I have followed the discussions over the warping disk problem. Numerous people have walked the exact same path when trying to counter the problem; they have been experimenting with disks and pads. Disks and pads only! No one has tried to replace the third factor in braking, which is rather important as well, the caliper. No wonder that, in the case that the caliper is indeed the problem, the problem has only been countered by those who bought a complete AP set. Instead they could have opted for new calipers only. Not a bad buy by the way, the AP set. Far superior over Brembo.

Hielke

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm only guessing but I don't think the problem is with the Brembo set up; has anyone ever thought that it might have something to do with your climate in the UK. There are 5 EVO V's and 5 EVO VI's here in Antigua and not one of them has ever had a problem with warping. All, except one V, are still using the standard Brembo set up (calipers, disks, and pads). Our climate is just about summer all year round. Maybe the climate in the UK has an adverse affect on the heating up and cooling down of the brake system. Just something to consider.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Speed demon

the weather LOL
no thats not the point it s the way of using the brakes

if you drive like youre grandmother the brakes have no problemshttp://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
but if you drive like a half baked tommi makkinen you do have problem[img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

and of course there are some other factors:

like standing on hot brakes before traffic lights
quality of the standard discs[img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
the large brake pads do not help either
and some other things i have possibly forgot

regards

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For those people who think the Brembo calipers are the problem then all I can say is you haven't been reading all the threads!

There is nothing wrong with the Brembo caliper. The same caliper is used on the Ferrari F40 and there are no problems on that. Why are there no problems?, because the F40 uses smaller pads creating less heat build up.

That is the simplied version of events because there are other factors involved but none are to do with the caliper design. I suggest you go back and reread the threads including the comments from people who have tested the cut-down pads on the STANDARD discs and calipers on track days with excellent results.

All credit to Dragon Autosport for spotting the problem and developing a GUARANTEED warp free solution with their Dragon Brake kit.

P.S. Whatever brake kit you fit make sure your hubs are OK otherwise you will get the same warping problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts