Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
can anybody tell me which is the best way to go? AP or Movit? AP £1300 Movit £1500

I want to buy it soon both front and rear as well.

reading the forum on the AP and Movit did not help make up my mind.

Lawrence

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Sunny,

You're a bit hopeful if you think you're going to get a straight answer to this old chestnut.;) I watched the debate rage inconclusively for several months and then went for AP - cos Justin was doing a group buy and it was easier to sort. I decided that unless you are a real animal on the track - both would give you the most chance of going home without the wobble. Your AP price sounds low though - sounds like 4 pots and surely you want 6 :D

Darryl.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
IMHO AP because they are easier to source in the UK and there will be more pad choice.

Doubt there is much in it mechanically.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
The range of pads for the Movit callipers is wide as their Porsche callipers and used for road and racing. So almost all brands and grades of pads are available.
Availability is no issue, JAS traction is the importer for Movit stuff. This is enough then once fitted on the car no worries anymore.http://www.jastraction.com/
Combine it with the rear kit (consisting not only of callipers but also of cast-drilled discs) and you've got the perfect system for road and track use.

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
I tried Jan's Movit brakes yesterday. Nice. But I was not hugely impressed with the braking. It was better than standard, especially after giving them some heat from cold. I cant tell you if they fade because I have only driven the car for 20 miles, but they lack a little bite. Probably need harsher pads. Other than that, from high speed the braking is really a big improvement. From over 80 mph, the difference in braking is very impressive. I would get those for the track. I dont think the APs can be better, or if they are, not much.

I just dont understand why this is so.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Scoobymike - I'll put it another way then.

JAS is a two man band, Geoff Jeal and his son, working out of their garage (though they may have moved now). The response from them is very poor. I have tried contacting them about brakes for my jag, and M5 in the past - and the response was very slow - I was constantly chasing them.

You can buy APs anywhere in the UK. The costs are similar, the performance is similar - the availability is clearly much better.

Warranty issues will no doubt be far easier to deal with in the Uk.

There must be 100 AP dealers here.

Also, if you act quickly, you may be able to get into Justin's group buy and get them CHEAP!

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Since when are we so formal Herr Moderator!

Just because the main importer is a family business you wouldn't buy them? Common do you know how many times I had to wait for a reply from companies all over the world. Maybe you should have called them. Additionally you know that I would have done the deal for you directly if you had made up your mind.

The Movit brakes are porker brakes, manufactured to highest standards so forget about warranty issues. Maybe with the AP you have to be aware of that but not with the Movits.

Claudius

good to see you've tested them by yourself. You're right with harsher pads you'll have more bite. The pads Jan uses are the same I use and for heavy track use I'd also go for harsher ones like Pagid Blue/Orange. High speed braking will be improved even more when you fit the rear kit aswell what I'll do soon.
You won't guess it but I departed with my girlfriend and I'm seriously thinking of visiting you in Monaco!!!!!

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Mike,

I am very pleased to hear that she decided to let you concentrate on the essential things in life, like cars :D

Jan left yesterday, it was good fun but unfortunately too short and everybody was tired. Check out the Lancerforums for some pics. See that road in the background? That is straight compared to the rest! Come down here and see for yourself. Any time you want. MichaelK is coming in February, 17 - 26 I think (or was it only 23rd?). Feel free to join the party! Coupled with MAXI and that crazy Finnish fothermucker, it should be a thing to remember for a lomg time!

My gf has a 2 week holiday from today, so I will have to do other things than driving and posting on here, but we keep in touch. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
scoobymike -wasn't being formal!

I did talk to Geoff Jeal at great length about the Jag - I don't see why I have to keep chasing people. I did though - left messages, sent emails. etc. Crap.

I know you can do a direct deal, but I am talking about my experiences with the UK importer before you got involved. It is all very well doing special favours...

Yes Porsche may make them, but I thought Movit modified them, so as far as warranty, spares etc. - you need to go to Movit for everything other than pads.

Call me old fashioned, but I like the fact that AP is in the UK, has lots of dealers, and that if I have a problem, I can drive to their office (coventry I believe) as they did with my jag, and they will sort it out. Bit harder when Movit are in Germany and Jeal and Sons are a small, family business and don't have time to return calls!

I am more than happy to accept Movit brakes are as good as AP and all that jazz, but don't try and convince me that Movit have as good a dealer back up in the UK - because it just is not true! And yes, I have experienced both -so I know what I am talking about.

I was all set to buy Movits for my M5, but now I am going with AP again because the service is MUCH better. May be different in Europe, where Guido is more accessible, but it isn't the case in the UK. Maybe JAS have changed, but my experiences are very recent.

THis has nothing to do with Movits or the quality of the brakes, so don't take the conversation there - I know you love to compare them to AP - it isn't about that. It is about the quality of service you get from your supplier - and in the UK AP is betterr - full stop.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
ap only stock 2 pads for the ap 6 pot kit and they are not cheap 1 pagit and ds2500 mintex do a range of pads for this shape but they have to be shaved down .

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
They also do two different carbon metallic pads. The Pagid RS42 (blue) are the best by far, but you must brake short and hard - long and soft will result in glazed pads!

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
The pagid blues are organic based pads like all Pagid compounds. No shaving down necessary for the Movit callipers. Exchanging pads is even easier with the Movits, just remove the clip and exchange pads, hassle free. It's just like that, low maintenance/high performance brakes.

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Err, you don't need to shave them on the AP's either. It is pretty simple changing pads on the APs too.

I know you love movit brakes Mike, but have you ever thought that by going on an on about them you might actually put people off??

Just a thought... :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
yeah

scoobymike we love you all but enough is enough strange last night my women said it too (enough is enough) lol:)

regards

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Did you drink that much beer again Andre? :D

Scoobymike, you start to sound like a Movit salesperson now!
I tried Jans, they brake very well, especially at high speeds (above 140 kmh or so) but the bite with the orange pads is quite ridiculous. They need to heat up a little bit as well I felt.
I didnt drive the car on one of my fav' downhill roads, but I bet you 100 EUROS I can make them fade if you give me the pads I want.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
If I was employed by Movit and responsible for promoting them on the MLR I either would have been already sacked a long time ago as the success was non-existent (only on this board!) or I would already be in psychiatric treatment after all those attacks I had to suffer!

I love you all toohttp://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/tongue1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Tony

good to see humor comes back to the forum and not everything is taken too seriously (also from my side).

Maybe I have to apply at Movit for a job soon cause the stock market is ####ing me off big time!

So then let's better enjoy our EVOs! At least one constant in life!

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
Mike - how true!

Perhaps I should buy Movits, and you should buy APs just to confuse everyone!

Have finally ordered AP's for the M5 - ONLY because Justin did a great deal on them. Made them much cheaper than th Movits in the end. Think Droid is going for Movits on his M3 though.

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
Tony

Justin offers decent deals, no question.

Watch out for the wheel bearings on the M5. We've discussed that already. I think as long as you don't track the Beemer no probs on this front. But for that you've got the EVO:D BTW Guido just did a 6 pot kit for a Z8 http://www.movit.de/htm/bmwz8.htm (no sales pitch, just nice car stuff for nutters)

Happy braking

Mike

1 - 20 of 40 Posts