Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fitted brakes but need to know a few things.

The discs are rubbing on the pad quite a bit when driving normally & judder quite heavily when braking softly (just fitted "20miles done). I know theres a run in period and will adhere to it, but can anyone let me know if I should fit another shim ?

Cheers

Stuart :)

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
mine sounded like they were dragging on the disc for about the first 100 miles, no probs since then, you could just about hear them with the windows down
mark

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mark morris said:
mine sounded like they were dragging on the disc for about the first 100 miles, no probs since then, you could just about hear them with the windows down
mark
It isn't major rubbing. As you say, enought o hear them when thw window is down, but I'm more concerned with th heat build up

Stuart

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
AP

Just had mine fitted and definitely do not have this problem.

What was the measured run out of the disk ?

John

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
stuart strip it down again and get copper slip smeared over the back of the pads and in where they locate to the calipers.
this stops them welding together due to the heat and also gives a smoother pedal. as it is just now theres no lube so they can jam against the calipers. maybe this is what your experiencing.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will have a look again today & put some copper slip in. :)

See how that goes

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
AP

I take it you are fitting these yourself ?

you really do need to measure the run out of the edge of the disk on the hub, this will tell you the best position for the disk.

The preparation of the hub is crucial for this. It needs to be clean no rust etc.

when mine were fitted by Nick and Chris at NR autosport, they moved the disk around each bolt on the hub and checked the run out for each position and then fitted to the hub at the best point.

they achieved a run out of 4 - 6 thou on 362mm disks.

No judder , no wobble, nothing.....

copper grease imho is not going to solve your problem of judder, it will possibly help with squeel and very slight pad movement but not judder.

Did your kit have the new pre spaced and centered fixing mounts or did you have to space with washers?

If washers are you positive you have it centered correctly ?

John

edited to insert 'to' as it may be unclear as to what i meant

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Re: AP

Hi John sorry to jump on this but i have just fitted these brakes myself and i am a little unsure if i have done it correctly.

I put the disk on to the hub and then used shims to center the caliper over the disk. The disk now looks central and feels ok.

R u saying that the disk could sit on the hub at an angle even with the wheels on?

Cheers for your advice!

Mark

JohnT said:

you really do need to measure the run out of the edge of the disk on the hub, this will tell you the best position for the disk.

Did your kit have the new pre spaced and centered fixing mounts or did you have to space with washers?

John

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
"R u saying that the disk could sit on the hub at an angle even with the wheels on? "

No it should be square to the disc ?
But I'm not realy sure I understand what you are asking !

The runout check is to make sure the disc is not 'wobbling' around the centre line of the axial, leading to judder.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: AP

JohnT said:

The preparation of the hub is crucial for this. It needs to be clean no rust etc.

when mine were fitted by Nick and Chris at NR autosport, they moved the disk around each bolt on the hub and checked the run out for each position and then fitted the hub at the best point.

they achieved a run out of 4 - 6 thou on 362mm disks.

No judder , no wobble, nothing.....

copper grease imho is not going to solve your problem of judder, it will possibly help with squeel and very slight pad movement but not judder.

John
Hi John,

It was my mate that fitted the brakes & he said that he did make sure the caliper was lined up- although we felt that the bolts lined the caliper up themselves and only required us to include washers etc. :confused:

To me, it feels as though it may be heat aftera while that would indicate the pad is needing to be worn down a little to fit the caliper/disc better. I only get a judder after a while of driving at a constant speed at which time I get a loud drone in the car & when braking, the judder is presant. At no other time do the brakes judder :confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts