Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 330mm AP 6 pot front kit, and the 4 pot rear kit. I now have 18 wheels, so could fit bigger discs. AP have a 380mm (??) kit I believe with a different 6 pot caliper. I know I could easily sell my front kit, but is there any point in upgrading? Would I get any benefit? The only thing I can think of is more heat dissipation, but I have this under control with SRF and the PE ducts.

Be interested to hear other people's view points. Obviously this a very expensive idea for what may be a minor improvement, but I would like to put the best braking solution possible on the car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The AP kit with a different caliper comprises a 362 mm disc. The bigger the disc, the more time it will take to heat. But a bigger disc will probably be heavier. Therefore, if your brakes are good enough, you should not increase unsprung weight unnecessarily.

How do the calipers resist to heat? Do they change colours under heavy use? I would suppose they do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blade,

I tried the 362mm Kit on my car b4 I fitted the 330mm kit, I run OZ F1 Cup 18 Split Rims and there was less than 0.5mm clearance between the caliper and the alloy. I thought it best not to go for it.

17 slicks are more plentyful and cheaper than 18's also I did not want to increase the rolling diameter too much. (and had a few set of 17 alloys doing nothing).

I have Drummond suspension and have just ordered stiffer anti-roll bars from Japan as I have too much body roll.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't agree with Claudius

I think that the 362mm grooved discs with the other fast road 6 pot kit will make a power improvement and will keep slightly colder temperature.

Now that's not the only solution as there are others ap 6 pot calipers, you can see the picture of one on the www.rcdevelopments.com web site, but then there are also 6 pot liquid cooled and 8 pots liquid cooled, they became really expensive but the difference must be big.
When are you going to post some pictures of your modified evo?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I guess reading between the lines that my setup is good enough, and it will cost too much to change for the bigger discs. I am happy with the braking, just wondering what I am missing out on with the bigger setup!

Maxi, the car is not finished yet (aaargghh!!!) It is having it's first run at Bruntingthorpe this Saturday, but is being run-in (and they have limited it to 0.9 bar so I don't blow the new engine - damn them!). Next week it is having a full R-R setup, ready for Croft on 1st October with Bookatrack. I am still waiting for the new manifold, turbo and injectors, so this round will only see about 400bhp - hoping for 450-500 with the new turbo, but who knows until it is on the car! As for the piccies, will post a web page up in the next 3 weeks.

EVO21 - Which Drummon suspension you got? I have Drummond too - the 60mm dampers, and found the double-progressive springs they provided to be quite rolly, so changed them for Eibach linear ones (as Drummond springs are a funny fitment). Think it is 450lbft front, 400lbft rear - not sure though. No roll now! The rollbars aren't particularly effetive on my car anymore - with struct braces and roll cage.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm dont want to argue which brake setup is best. However from the postings that I've read on the subject the AP setup seems to be the preffered choice for complete kit - bells - dsics - calipers. Am I write in assuming 330mm for a standard E6 wheel?

If I were to stick with the Brembo caliper then what disc do you track day nutters recco?

Also would appreciate your ideas on a suitable fitter in the SE England/Midland area.

Maybe list some costs for each setup too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BlueEVO - if you want track use, bin the Brembos. The AP setup is pretty much the only way to go. People are talking about the Movit kit, which may be good, but I think they are more expensive than AP in the UK anyway. I have the 330mm/6 pots at the front, with 4 pots/standard discs at the back. Yesterday I did 100 laps at Croft with heavy braking - no fade, no warping, no soft pedal - nothing. Just phenomenal stopping power every time.

You will NEVER achieve that with the standard brakes. Yorkie was also there with his standard EVO and had brake problems (fade and warp) very quickly in the day.

You should also use good brake fluid (Castrol SRF), the Ralliart master cylinder bracket and the Power Engineering vents.

My brakes were done by Power Engineering, in Uxbridge (nr Heathrow). see http://www.powerengineering.co.uk

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blade

I will phone PE this am - thanks for the advice. My thoughts too - AP brakes have to be good as they are original suppliers to many motor sport outfits - speaks for itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts