Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would there be any interest in running a group buy on the AP front brake
conversion ?

I for one am sick of warping discs with my Brembo setup.

I know for sure, if we got enough interest, I could get atleast enough
discount to knock off the VAT, and possibly a little more.

Any takers ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You wont get anywhere with it.
I tried through the scoobynet and had 35 people interested with money ready and no one would discount.
They are a very tight and well knit daelership.

I can recommend better than AP though. If you insist.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can guarantee VAT free discount on this group buy, you have
my word !!!!!!!!!!! I have already had it confirmed.

BUT,

if you know of a better brake setup, I want to know please !!!!

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guido will offer group buys from ten kits on. All information about it can be found under the The Movit Story topic.

Gerrit I doubt they overcome their prejudice. If Movit only was British;)

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know how you can say Movit is better than AP unless you have had both on your car!!

I thought we agreed that they are both good.

I think AP will work out cheaper.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should compare movi't calipers with ap 4 pots!
Here we are talking about ap 6 pots and they should be better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tony
never said Movit is better.

I drove several cars equipped with AP brakes (Aston Martin DB7 Vantage etc) and also different Porkers and my Porker equipped car. I know what I'd choose. Interestingly they're loads of people driving British cars and swapped the APs for Movit brakes. Never seen to other way round. Movit even did a conversion recently for a Bentley. Also for the Jaguars the Monoblocs are easily enough although I heard the APs can't cope with the weight of those cars.

Dario

very informative comment. You haven't ever tested a Movit nor an AP kit so what's your point? I wouldn't even consider an AP 4 pot for comparison. Open your mind.

Justin

I'm sorry that your thread now gets spoiled. Wasn't my intention. We'll keep in touch.

So now the banter will begin. This has now become a trademark on this board. Maybe it will close again as some prefer a German product instead of a Britsh. Very disappointed about this attitude. At least I know some other members of this and other boards who are seriously interested in an alternative to AP and aren't so full of prejudice.

Mike

PS: Maybe some have noticed that foreigners have stopped posting on this board. No wonder if this attitude persists.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just out of interest what is the sales tax in Germany. Over here in the UK we have to pay 17.5% extra on every thing we buy.

I wish I still lived out in the far east no sales tax and shipments from Japan would cost nothing as they always order enough for a container full. :D

Thorak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thorak

I think in Germany it's pretty much the same as your VAT rate. In Switzerland though it's only 7.6% but 4 years ago we didn't have any sales tax! Shame about that!

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Scooby,its no secret that I will be changing my brakes in the new year as I intend to do more track days,I was going to buy the AP 6 pot conversion based on the fade free experiences Blade has had with them.

I do however have an open mind ,and if you believe that Movit is a better choice I would be really gratefull if you could explain to me why.This a genuine enquiry I am just looking for an honest opinion based on facts .

Many Thanks Barry:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scooby, It isn't prejudice - you know I am considering Movit for my M5. I am just so fed up with this forum.

People buy a product or hire a tuner then we all have to have it rammed down our throats about how good product X is or tuner Y, and how all the alternatives must be ****. If that wasn't enough, now we have to bring nationality into it. We get the same circular arguments all the time.

Well I have had enough of it and think I will spend my time doing something more constructive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, and scooby, the APs on the Jags are **** - the upgrade kit has problems on my wife's XKR - but it is not the brakes - it is due to the spacer which is too large resulting in vibration due to different heat expansion rates between wheel, spacer, disc and hub. I think the Movit brakes are not as large as the APs and don't need the spacer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Blade, can I just check one thing with you, if you are upgrading the brakes (which I am looking to do - but waiting until everyone comes to the same agreement!) - Does that mean that one would have to fit a spacer on the standard wheels, if so what size, obviously this would need even a bigger spacer with OZ Superleggras, which might cause problems and start worrying me, the only way round it, for me would be to go for those Team Dynamics, as I assume that if they hand build them - they can then make a compensation for any brake upgrades.

Or am I worrying over nothing!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
THIS TYPICAL,I post a genuine enquiry about the pros and cons of AP and Movit brakes ,my post gets ignored because people are more interested in slagging each other off,and these are people who complain about how threads deterioate,talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

How about some good technical input here.Once again why are Movit to be considered better than AP,thats all I ask .:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AntsEvo,

Scoobymike should confirm this, with the Movit kit the front disks and calipers are mounted 10mm more inboard than the standard set up, so this would mean you could run the Superleggeras with no spacers, I think!

Clive

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers Clive, can anyone else (scoobymike?) - confirm this, also are the AP brake kits similar - in size that is

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The heat is on!

Clive is right, the Movit kit moves the discs and therefore the calliper 1cm towards the inside (on the Mak it's only 5mm due to a different lower suspension assembly). This should give enough clearance for the SL rims.

Now in short the advantages:

- more advanced calliper design (monobloc as in F1), therefore 20% lighter than AP 6 pot calliper (no steel bolts needed), much stronger (no expansion when stomping on the middle pedal, mind you apply around 120bar!), more compact (also offering more airflow to the disc) and still offering the same pad surface with four pistons instead of six, allowing a better shaped pad as the AP pad is long and slim which can lead, under heavy braking due to expansion of the calliper, that the pad not being pressed equally on the disc (therefore AP needs six pots to achieve an even pad contact patch area), wide range of pads available, simple pad retention system (faster pad changes)

- discs have a special venting system (registered by Porsche) which gives you twice the cooling area of a normal vented disc, therefore system runs very cool, less wear and tear, ability to achieve phenomenal stopping power with organic pads which are kinder to the discs, cast holes so very strong, also instant stopping power in the wet, high quality disc material, special mounting bolts between disc and bell which allows the disc to expand 0.5mm in radius, additionally you get special centration rings to give the wheel more support on the hub

This gives you a high performance/low maintenance road/track braking system. All info can be found either in the Movit Story topic or on the movit website http://www.movit.de

If you're not convinced go for the AP kit. Never doubted its qualities. For all those guys who are genuinly interested let me know. I'll do my best to negotiate a top price. All I can say you won't regret buying a Movit kit. Also kits for the rear with the porker discs and monobloc callipers are available for the EVO. I'll complement my car with this in spring.

Cheers

Mike

PS: Do a search with google under movit brakes and you'll get hundreds of customer reports all over the world.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.