Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my AO46 are shot and thinking of either AO48 or R888 for fast road use, are the AO48 as soft a compound as the R888 , and difference between them on turn in, and progeressive feel for break away?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Hello mate - once you decide give Tavistock Tyres a shout 01822 614188. If you speak to Simon Allen, he is very knowledgeable on tyres and does great prices too. Unfortunately he's a Scooby driver but we cant all be perfect eh? ;)

thread running about the R888's: http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71235

Those Toyo ones I was talking about are the T1-R and are phenominal in all conditions especially the wet (as we live in the South West, this has gotta be a good thing!!)

Any joy with that Alloy refurb number yet?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Martin will ring them tomorrow.

Tel:01752 227733 for alloy refurb Auto centre Exeter Street Plymouth

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi Mate.
My own personal view of the Yokohama AO48 is that they are very unforgiving on the limit.

I have had a couple of very worrying moments whilst pushing my car at the limit on high speed bends and as soon as the tyres break away , I have reduced power and the car carries on sliding and does not recover (usually understeer situations).

I think they are potentially lethal when fitted to an EVO.My Dunlop D98J'S are totally predictable and also bridgestone RE050 (ROAD TYRES) are brilliant.(usually fastest time of the day in the wet and not far off the pace of race rubber in the dry).

The toyo's are apparently putting in quicker lap times than Dunlops and I think I will try these next. They are also about 40 quid per tyre cheaper than the AO48.-Oh and by the way Yokohama stopped producing the soft compound (which were pretty good), have run out of the medium compound (which i have) and only have hard compound (which are probably even more lethal).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Actually... I think A048 is overall the better performance semi slick than the other brands. In the wet, its performance is still good, but the other brands I find that is slips quite alot. myabe it is teh difference in the compound I use, which is M. In the rain, track day drivers have tried s compound and they find it really grippy. Of cuz A048 is not ultamite like it is snappy at the limit, but this is because of the high limit range the tire is capable of holding, and also quite bumpy on uneven surfaces!
If you choose A048, I'll recomand you use M compound. It can last around 1 year!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys , awesome video Rich great drive , whats the turn in like on AO48, R888 or DJ01 's compared to AO46?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts