Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did an oil change week before last and noticed that the oil was darker than usual. Think I've left it a little too long before changing this time. I'm going to change it again soon because the fresh oil I've put in has darkened already and thought about using a flush. There seems to be plenty of mixed opinions out there and wondered if many use them? I can't really see them doing harm, if anything loosen up contaminants or am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
16,917 Posts
Mixed opinions but to me best avoided on cars that have had regular oil changes, just do a double oil change to flush out all old oil, as in drop oil and refill with new, run for 10 minutes or so then drop oil again and change filter.

Oil on turbo cars goes black very quick due to heat from going through the turbo.

Ian

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Ian. I'll do as you suggest and change twice. Do you think a thinner grade oil for the 10 minute run or just regular? Cheers.

Reactions: ccallum71

·
Premium Member
16,917 Posts
I just use same grade, to be honest on my old Evos i changed it every 2k max or every 2 events if on track so never needed to double change, apart from just after i bought it to make sure it was tiptop which is something i do with all my cars if i dont know full history.

·
Registered
524 Posts
No on the engine flush, just change the oil regularly.

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,846 Posts
I actually asked the lads years ago at Mitsi that look after my car. They said NO to flush on an Evo, but YES on some other cars they service.

I give you an example of my BMWs that used to run Castrol LL04 (lasts 4 years) that used to get a flush by the main dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
With the service intervals on an Evo I don't think you really need flush, the oil should be relatively clean at any time

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay then a no it is ha. I wonder why some cars but not others?

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I wonder why some cars but not others?
One reason I wouldn't on any turbo charged car is the flush can and most likely will loosen larger black deposits on the engine internals, these deposits then make their way to the turbo, get lodged in the bearings and bang goes the turbo.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The oil goes black quickly when it's running too rich.

So the answer it to tune it properly.
Nothing to do with turbos and heat.

Flushing is bad.
The worst that can happen is a blocked oil pickup and loss of pressure.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The oil goes black quickly when it's running too rich.

So the answer it to tune it properly.
Nothing to do with turbos and heat.

Flushing is bad.
The worst that can happen is a blocked oil pickup and loss of pressure.
It's been tuned by evotune so it should be running fine. I might have it looked over again.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Walk around the back of the car.
Check the bumper?
Check the inside of the tail pipe?

Lots of soot.

I can see it from here...........lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts