Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All

I am up for a new set of tyres all round (v.shortly in fact) and I am pondering between the S-02's and the S-03's...

Has anyone got any experience of the differences between these two models of Bridgestones? If so, any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The S-03's are much softer and far grippier than the S-02's but the 3's are more suited to the wet.

The 3's are a better bet if you can get hold of any.

I had S-02's on 17's and were OK, tried Yoko AVS on 18's, OK in the dry hopeless in the wet, after driving on S-03's in the wet have now ordered a set for my 18's to be fitted this week before Croft just in case it rains and the slicks cant go on.

Hope this helps.

David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got the S03 in 17inch size on my Mak but I'm not too happy with them. On the Ring they felt really squirmy and didn't inspire much confidence. Turn in feels like a split second delayed. After the Ring they needed around 1000km of hard driving to regain grip. I suppose I had to rub down the melted rubber because before they just had around 50% of the grip they had before. They also squeal like hell. In my opinion the tyre is a step back compared to the S02. Just compare the tread pattern. The S02, Toyo Proxes, Yoko AVS Sport and Falkens look like intermediate tyres. Then take a look at the S03 and it looks more like a tyre for executive cars. The sidewalls also seem to be more flexible. On the positive side is the wear rate. Especially on the shoulders they hold much better than the S02 but that's the only advantage. All in all I won't buy them again.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scoobymike,

I hear what you say but my S-02's went off at Oulton after about 5 laps.

Kevin Hunt has the S-03's on and in any damp / wet conditions they are far superior than any other tyre I have driven on. If it's dry I would run slicks on the track.

On the road the tyres dont get pushed to the point of melting. Maybe 18's dont feel as squirmy.

All I can say is I was dissapointed with Yoko AVS tyres on the track in the wet. (Road use they are fine)

David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
David

I'm already saving for another set of wheels because on these I could fit a street legal semi-slick as the Pirelli.
Maybe I expected a bit too much from the S03. In the last few days I played around with the air pressure and it helped.
For sure in the wet they're stunning.
Next tyre I'll try will be the Pirelli P Zero Rosso. Ralliart Germany recommended those to me when I was on the Ring. My mate always raves about the Falkens. He now runs on Toyo Proxes and is not very happy with them, not precise and grip is also not so good. Haven't tested them myself though.

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scoobymike

I am surprised you want to try PZero rosso. They are less of a sport tire than the yellows. They are more quiet and have less wear, but are a lot less what you want I guess... The 10 year old yellows are still the best for the dry so far, but I havent tried AVS yet. What about AVS in the dry?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree on the points made about the sO-2s and 3s. I have SO-2s on my Evo and the grip went after half a trackday at Cadwell and it never came back, very good in the rain though. They really are only good for a few laps and that's it. Also my camber angles have chewed away the inside edges, no great resistance from the tires there either. Also my dad has the SO-3s on his E55 which says it all really. I've driven it and I couldn't feel any difference compared to the Michelins that he had on before. I think that the only way is to have a seperate set of wheels for trackdays and put some slicks on them. Has anyone tried the Yokos that are on the 7 on a 6 yet, cause they look really good for dry conditions...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Claudius

the P Zero Rosso is the ultimate high performance tyre of Pirelli. You can check that on their website. It's also fitted to the Porsche GT2 which isn't an executive car, is it!
It's also one of the most expensive tyres available.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys

Thanks for all of the advice...

Think I will stick to the S-02's just to be safe as the S-03's sound a bit pants in the dry?

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scoobymike,

The P ZERO rosso is the latest high performance tyre made from pirelli for porsches etc, but if you want the real P ZERO you have to go for the yellow one, P ZERO ASSIMMETRICO.

The P ZERO ROSSO is a very high quality sports tyre, but it's made to be more silent, last longer and it's good for highway use especially on heavy and powerful cars as audi rs4,s8, porsche, bmw m5 etc.

The P ZERO ASSIMMETRICO is the extreme pirelli tyre for fast road and trackdays.
That's not just my opinion, It's explained in the pirelli catalogue in Italy, so ask someone that uses ferraris on track, they will tell you the same thing.

I have the P ZERO assimmetrico on my evo v now and I am happy about it.
The tyre compound is really good and I think is quiet soft, but the tyre wear is on all the surface and it does not uses only the edges as the s02.

The sides of the tyre are probably less hard and rigid than other tyres as avs or bridgestones,but that's not a problem as the grip is really good and they are really good on wet conditions, maybe less than s02 on aquaplaning as they are not directional.

Before them I had yokohama avs, they are good tyres in dry conditions, very precise, they have maybe slightly less grip than the pirelli but good reactions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Howdy,

The tire you guys are looking for is the P Zero C (street legal racing tire) Much better than the normal Pirelli tires mentioned in this thread. I think C stands for Corse or Corsa?!? Rosso

My favourite is the Dunlop Super Sport 9000 Race!! Hard to find though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gerrit

you mean the Pirelli P Zero Corsa which is a semislick (all those Porsche guys had them during our Ring party). Also Yokohama produce such a tyre. I think it's fitted on the Lotus 340R as standard. This is a good solution if you can't take a spare set of rims with you. Still need a second set of rims though!

Cheers

Mike

PS: And a boost gauge

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The P Zero Corsa, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup and Dunlop Performance R D001J are all street legal, E marked performance tyres. Much of a muchness. The Pilot Sport has the best lifetime, the new Corsa (Used to be P Zero C) has been the standard for ages, though the Michelin has started to take over.
The Dunlops are very good.

P Zero Corsa and Michelin hard to come buy. I have just bought 8 dunlops (which are easier to come buy) on a 235/40-18 which cost £1200 approx - which I think is good value.

All are fine on the road etc., and work OK in the wet - just avoid any standing water!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have never try any of the P Zero Tyres, but I will stick with my Advan 032R on my V, until then i would like to try the new TNR 045 after this set is gone, 235/40/17 size, but i am very aware of the tyre wear. i heard they dont last long. anyone been using Advan/Yoko tyres? I use AVS Inter. back in the days in Canada on my Eagle Talon Tsi, they are very percise, best price/performance tyre i have tried.

oh well, guess i will stick with Yokos

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Has anyone tried Goodyear Eagle F1s on an E6 ? . I tried SO1s, YokoAVS and Eagle F1s on my old VR6 and the F1 was the far better (normal use - never had it on a track ) tyre !. Before that I ran a golf on Yoko 008s , did not last long but transformed the handling of the car , current nearest thing I guess would be those on the 340R lotus.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Scoobymike

the Yokohama A038R are a very good semislick appearently, but they will only last 2,000 kms or I would guess one track day (if you go out after lunch). Considered those but as they last 4 to 5 times less than normal tires (AVS, Pilot Sport, S-02, PZero, etc) I thought it's like them being 4 - 5 times more expensive...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Claudius

you were absolutely right about the Pirelli tyres. I just spoke to our local agent and he said I should go for the yellow not the rosso.
He also said they have a new Corsa spec tyre and it is road legal at least here in Switzerland. But it has only 6.5mm tread pattern and if you come across standing water........
I think I'll give the yellows a try.
Has anybody ever tried Falken tyres. I have several mates who swear by them.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Scooby I have used Falkens on the track in competition very good tyre but the road version you might find lacking when pushed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anarchist

thanks for the info. I think these Falkens are quite a good VLM. I'll take those also in my consideration as my S03 are already a bit shaggedhttp://194.93.140.171/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >.

Cheers

Mike

1 - 20 of 46 Posts