Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace my PF .10 pads on my Evo VIII with stock Brembo Calipres and PF discs.

Like a lot of others I'm tearing my hair out trying to decide which pads to go for. I would be happy to swap the .10s in there now for more of the same, but unfortunately they no longer make them :wallbang:

Someone has suggested .97s as being very similar to the old .10s, so does anyone use them, and how do they compare on:

- Performance (from cold and on track, initial bite and even pedal feel)
- Dust (both amount and ease of cleaning)
- Noise

To the other options, particularly XP8s, DS2500s and PF .01s?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I'm looking to replace my PF .10 pads on my Evo VIII with stock Brembo Calipres and PF discs.

Like a lot of others I'm tearing my hair out trying to decide which pads to go for. I would be happy to swap the .10s in there now for more of the same, but unfortunately they no longer make them :wallbang:

Someone has suggested .97s as being very similar to the old .10s, so does anyone use them, and how do they compare on:

- Performance (from cold and on track, initial bite and even pedal feel)
- Dust (both amount and ease of cleaning)
- Noise

To the other options, particularly XP8s, DS2500s and PF .01s?
I have just fitted XP8's, they are quiet dusty, but aint really had a squeel from them yet, seem a really good pad much better than the standard I had fitted before:smthumbup Unsure about PF tho

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
The last set of .10s I bought had something like PF 97 stamped on the side friction material so I assume they're the same thing.

Whilst the stopping potential of the .10s is great, the wheel and bodywork trashing isn't :(

I now use Carbotech XP10s which I've found as good as (possibly better than) the PF .10 but without the aggressive dust problems.

Cheers,

Simon

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The last set of .10s I bought had something like PF 97 stamped on the side friction material so I assume they're the same thing.

Whilst the stopping potential of the .10s is great, the wheel and bodywork trashing isn't :(

I now use Carbotech XP10s which I've found as good as (possibly better than) the PF .10 but without the aggressive dust problems.

Cheers,

Simon
Cheers Simon, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. What's the noise issue like on the Xp10s?

My PF .10s squeal at low speeds, so I'm used to it, but are the XP10s ridiculous?

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts

Cheers,

Simon
I can second the above info. I've just fitted a set of .97's to my AP's and was told these are the equivalent to .11's ;)

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can second the above info. I've just fitted a set of .97's to my AP's and was told these are the equivalent to .11's ;)
But the .10s, which are supposedly the basis for the .97s are a much more aggressive pad than the .11s???:confused:

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
But the .10s, which are supposedly the basis for the .97s are a much more aggressive pad than the .11s???:confused:
To be honest I've run .10's, .11's and now .97's and can't tell the difference between them all, except the obvious brake dust issues with the .10's :)

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm, interesting.

I think I'm swaying towards the XP10s, as if they perform better than .10s and dust less, then that sounds right up my street.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
The PF .11s are excellent for road use, cheap, quiet, low dust :D but on track they are nowhere near as good as the .10 :(

I don't think my Carbotech XP10s have squeaked once :D

I bedded them in properly at Combe at the MLR trackday when I bought them off Ian, they've subsequently done some hill climbs, sprints some more laps of Combe and road use.

Mrk did a writeup on the XP10 a while ago and also rated them.

Cheers,

Simon

·
Registered
224 Posts
.10 is our original Z Rated fast road compound for the Evo whereby we used a variation on 97 compound, therefore you won't notice a difference between .10 and 97.

Due to complaints from 'some' customers (not all) of difficulties with removing dust from wheels and paintwork with .10/97, we decided to introduce a new Z rate material that was primarily for road use, which gave very little dust and reduced noise, but that was also suitable for trackday work and close in performance to the 97 compound. Due to our part numbering system, this then became known as .11 compound.

The .11 pads will provide equal stopping capability to many track orientated pads and will in fact provide better consistency if kept within a sensible working temperature, but might require a little extra pedal effort. That doesn't mean the car won't stop as quick, it just means a little extra effort is required on the brake pedal.

01 compound is our benchmark race compound that is used extensively in motorsport and sets a standard that many other manufacturers try to reach. I'm sure our friends at AP would even admit that very few race compounds come close in terms of all round capability to 01, particularly in areas such as WTCC, GT, F3 to name a few.

At this moment in time I have received no complaints from customers running 01 of dust issues, but the people who run 01 are typically serious track day users.

My advice if you're a regular track attendee and want the ultimate brakes for road and track without the expense of going to a big brake kit, is to use .11 for road, then 01 for the track. Dusting with our race compounds is reduced if using our disc assembly versus the OE disc.

I hope this clears up the situation somewhat, I know our part numbers can be a little confusing but there is logic applied.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts