Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Tarmac Tyre Shredder
14,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sitting here typing this in the most excruciating pain,as i have gout in my ankle joints

(too much acid in blood,forms crystals which attacks joints/toes)

I know its usually old men who get this from rich living and ale....but my acid level is sky high and stuff like beer/steak/tomatoes send it over the edge :mad:

My father has it and has been passed down to me,1-2 weeks off work each time :mad:

Its like walking on a broken ankle and the pain is phenominal :cry: my foot is locked and i cant even move my toes.

Im on pain killers but even the draught of a door or bed clothes over my foot makes it unbearable.

Ive had it now about 10 times and the doc just says painkillers/rest and just let it pass.

Just though id have my 1st moan :D and see if anyone has it or knows how to get rid. :mad:

·
Registered
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X RS
1,789 Posts
I had my first attack middle of last year and know all too well how painful it is :blah: . I was housebound for a couple of days until the swelling went down until I could get my largest fitting boots on. Even then I was hobbling around for over a week until the swelling went away.

The only natural cures I came across involved eating copious amounts of celery (which I hate) or cherries (which I dislike). I did invest in a product called CherryActive - basically a cherry concentrate which you dilute. It's recommended for continued daily use, but I drank it in more and stronger dilutions during the attack - whether it actually had any effect I couldn't honestly tell you since it was my first attack. However, given the pain I was in, I was willing to give anything a go :D

Touch wood (taps head :crackup: ), I haven't had a repeat attack.

·
Registered
260 Posts
:ill: if you are feverish and your joints are hot and inflamed you may have an infection which you would need a second opinion..apparently the best cure is plenty of water.. :)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
my doctor prescribed me some anti-inflammatories/painkiller which seemed to do the job for me, always keep them to hand now, the pain was absolutely excruciating.

fingers crossed I've only had the 1 occurence, mine flared up when I quit all alcohol for 3 months, that'll teach me to do something that stupid again :p

all the best

Simon

·
Tarmac Tyre Shredder
14,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Cheers,id buy some cherries if i could put ANY weight on my ankle and go the shop. :ill:

Its the most pain ive been in,in my life (and ive broke my ankles,done ligaments etc)

Alcohol/beer is full of acid,so probably my stint on it over xmas has flared it up big time.

Jesus christ its painfull....im never gonna laugh at an old guy limping with gout...ever!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
what happens with gout is that the uric acid in your system turns from liquid into crystals,it's when these crystals settle in your joints that gout occurs. since uric acid is a by product of protein metabolism reducing the amount of protein you consume will help. sorry but this is as far as my knowledge goes but when i get a chance i will have a read up about it and post some more info.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
i've never had it personnaly but my grandad had it bless him r.i.p

ill tell you we used to take the **** out of him as kids but i bet he was in a lot of pain

his big toe used to go bright purpley red

mind you he used to like his whiskey

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Get some Ocean Spray cranberry juice - I kid you not mate.

Hits gout like a freight train - I normally get gout if I hit too much protein over a sustained period but the ocean spray does the trick.

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
Phil, I also suffer from the dreaded gout, usually attacks the big toes on both feet, go rock solid and hurts like f**k. I took ibuprofen for a long time but did not really kill the pain so went to the doctor.

He advised me not to take ibuprofen any more as the large amounts of drugs is worse than taking a gout tablet. He recommended a tablet that you take when you feel an attack coming on, two then one every four hours. The name is Colchicine, 500microgrammes tablets, very small but work almost straight away. He also suggested diet change avoiding all the things you like, beer, port, red wine, etc etc.

Hope this helps.

Steve

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I don't like the sound of this Gout, is it hereditary? Or just come from eating too much rich food & Alcohol? Think I'm alright I go for the healthier lifestyle of binge drinking :crackup:

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
It is nasty when you get a full attack, I was led in bed one night, when the attack usually is at its worse, and was almost tempted to go down stairs, get a knive and cut the offending toe OFF!!,

it is very painful in the joints, and if you get them often, and can actually leave crystals under the skin as sort of scar tissue.

Touch wood since the tablets have been prescribed I hhave not had an attack, just got to have the tablets with you ready.

Steve

·
Tarmac Tyre Shredder
14,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Im on Colchicine too edd,tiny little tablets but they do work (knock you out big time tho!) Also voltarol

Ive had a few attacks in my toe,but mostly my ankle joints...which is 10 times worse...so you can imagine the pain :mad:

Dont really know how to stop the attacks,which last a week!!

All my doctor says is "stay away from acidic foods"

Wot a muppet,loads of foods have that type of acid....which ones are the worst??

Oh and my gout IS hereditary,very high levels of acid,passed down from my dad (cheers old man!! :D )

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
I have started to drink loads of water during the day, didn't use to touch the stuff, seems to help, and changed from my favorite tipple of cider to guiness!!

hang in there mate, as you know it does go in the end.

Steve

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
managed to dig out a book with some info about gout, the article is from a doctor from america. he recommends drinking plenty of water to flush the crystals out of your system and to keep drinking it to dilute the uric acid. what he means by plenty of water is up to 1 gallon a day :eek: as someone mentioned earlier cherries also reduce the symptoms of gout,there's a substance called anthocyanocide in cherries which lowers the uric acid levels in the body. you need to consume about 70 cherries a day, either by eating or juicing them. don't buy cherry juice from the shops as the pasteurization process destroys the substance that lowers the uric acid levels. another thing that's supposed to help is apple cider vinegar, the dose is 1 tablespoon first thing in the morning.
things to avoid.
all alcohol, as this triggers the body to produce more uric acid. also foods with a high purine content, as this converts to uric acid very easily. high purine foods are organ meats (liver), red meat, sardines, mackerel and anchovies. vegtables high in purine are asparagus, mushrooms and any knid of beans.
hope this helps

·
Tarmac Tyre Shredder
14,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote=things to avoid.
all alcohol, as this triggers the body to produce more uric acid. also foods with a high purine content, as this converts to uric acid very easily. high purine foods are organ meats (liver), red meat, sardines, mackerel and anchovies. vegtables high in purine are asparagus, mushrooms and any knid of beans.
hope this helps

Avoid all that!!!

Bloody hell,i might as well be dead :crackup

If i was a horse,they would shoot me!! :crackup:

As for cherries,does it mean glacier ones as well :confused: :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts