Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've not been around for a while as I've been working in Russia since 2012.
I was missing my car too much, so I decided to drive it to Moscow where I attempted to get it registered on Diplomatic number plates, which should have been straight forward, but wasn't......

During the registration process inspection, the inspector checked the paint depth with a meter. He found that the paint around the bulkhead VIN was a different depth to that on the rest of the car & said it would need further investigation as he suspects the VIN has been altered. I laughed as I (stupidly) thought I knew the history of the car.

Long story short; it went for further investigation where the paint was stripped from the bulkhead VIN and sure enough it is evident that the VIN has been tampered with. Interpol were involved & the police national databases were searched but there was no evidence that the car had been stolen, & nothing showed on the other VIN that is partially visible.

I've now driven the car back to the UK and re-registered it, but I'm left with a visibly adulterated VIN with no paint covering and a potentially worthless car!

My question is: the car is known as a RALLIART EVO 6 GSR, and was advertised as 'Official UK Ralliart Evo 6 GSR' but if it's an import and an SVA was issued, how is it a UK Ralliart?

Does anyone know how to get a replacement SVA certificate? I've searched online but there is nothing really forthcoming.

The car in question was well known & previously owned by Steve_Barrow, Smiles & "6": http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=348003&highlight=W79+NHE

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
If nothing sinister showed up on any checks then I'd just re-paint the bulkhead, forget all about it all and enjoy your car :smthumbup

·
EVOHOLIC !
5,689 Posts
The paint depth in the engine bay most of the time will be lower than the rest of the car especially if it's original paint in the engine bay, if the car's had paint which most have by now there's going to obviously be a difference, don't see that as an issue myself.

As you say most of the owners were forum members and I'm sure long standing members are thorough when buying or selling cars, if something was dodgy I'm sure one of them would have spotted it a while back. I'd rather buy an EVO from a long standing member instead of a spotty 17 year old or a dodgy dealer.

Interbishi on your link has answered the Ralliart question which a lot of people seem confused about.

I would've suggested contacting Tony (BlackKnight) but he's left, might be worth contacting Kevin who he used to work with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts