Lancer Register Forum banner

Anyone got any experience with he HKS Defenser?

1K views 34 replies 0 participants last post by  AndrewN 
G
#1 ·
Actually I'm not sure if it's called the Defenser or the Defender but anyway it's the little box of tricks that is supposed to kerb fuel-cuts by fooling the engine into thinking that there is less air coming in then there actually is (I think thats how it works anway!)

The thing is since having a full Magnex exhaust/de-cat fitted to my E6 TME I'm getting these damn fuel-cuts under hard acceleration. The garage have recommended one of these HKS jobbies but doing a search on these forums revealed that these can be dodgy because they can make the engine run lean.

My question is what is the current thinking about all this? Are there other safer ways to sort this problem out without spending a fortune? On my search I saw someone recommend having a better quality fuel pump fitted when fitting the HKS thing and this would sort the lean problem out. Can anyone agree with this or offer further thoughts?

I'm confused and need advice please!

Ady

G
#28 ·
...minus the FCD as you won't need it and I reckon you are a roughly a few hundred short of a full ECU. Its not really to do with money, a remappable ECU is the way to go in my opinion (as I we both agree) and I would definitely take that route over the Apexi.
By the way what is the cheapest decent remappable aftermarket ECU? (not the PE one as that still uses the standard ECU but chipped, I mean a brand new ECU system.)
£1500?

G
#29 ·
er hh6 isn't that the £435 that Andrew paid for the Evo link?

At the end of the day were never going to agree on this. Some people/tuners are happy with the interceptor route. And thats fine. Personally I think the programmable Ecu puts you fully in control of your engine. Maybe some people don't want the responsibilty of that, but thats fine.

You pays yer money, yer takes yer choice.

G
#30 ·
The mappable ECU seems a better way AT FIRST SIGHT because you get all the engine parameters working correctly together. Provided you find someone who can program the ECU. Which seems not that easy, given that there is a story on this board that not even Ralliart UK (or someone working for them at some point in time) were able to get it right.

But let's assume you get someone to do it right. Then you have 350 or so bhp. All the time. Good.

But when you dont need the power say in traffic, cruising on the highway, etc. you will have it anyway. Not so with an A'PEXi (can you spell that?) AVC-R where you alter the boost the way you want with OEM timing. With a GEMS or MoTeC, the timing would be wrong for lower boost. And if you get a mappable ECU, you will have to pay for the mapping as well. So it seems much more expensive to me. I would not fit one to get 350 or 380 bhp (with cams).

A new ECU is definitely worth is for more, like bigger turbo etc since the map will be very different. You can then still sell your A'PEXis I guess.

G
#31 ·
Claudius,I agree with you thats why I have the Apexi.RC Developements use Apexi up to 380bhp and on there 450 bhp conversion use Motec,and as tuners I am impressed with there Knowledge as I am with yours.

Barry:)

G
#32 ·
Had to make a fast trip back to ch ch to catch plane as father on respirator

5.5 hours

lot of trucks and slow cars, single lane road

frequently used maximum power

was middle of day

never missed a beat on link

andrew

G
#33 ·
But when you dont need the power say in traffic, cruising on the highway, etc. you will have it anyway. Not so with an A'PEXi (can you spell that?) AVC-R where you alter the boost the way you want with OEM timing. With a GEMS or MoTeC, the timing would be wrong for lower boost.

Claudius...

A well mapped ecu will behave just as well on low boost as the std. Mitsi ecu. if mapped properly.
Indeed it is quite feasible to improve your mpg for cruising.
The ignition timing on a fully mappable ecu is load dependant - it is correct whatever the boost is -low/high/off-boost - if the map has been done properly it will be optimum.

The ultimate problem with the standard Mitsi setup is that the air flow sensor is a restriction on air flow into the engine. It reduces the breathing efficiency of the inlet. It also has a maximum air flow capacity beyond which it cannot measure any increase in air flow. I don't know what that limit is but I'd bet on a 280bhp the engineers have not designed the air flow sensor to count flow much beyond about 400hp.

The beauty of most aftermarket set-ups is that they change from air mass metering to calculation of air mass from engine speed/inlet manifold air pressure/inlet manifold air temperature measurements. This method places zero restriction on the flow of air into the engine - 100% efficient.
Downside is that if you change any one thing on the engine that will affect the breathing efficiency - (eg. cams, better air filter, exhaust, porting, turbo etc.) you will have to alter the ecu map to suit.

This is not the case with the standard ecu - a change of exhaust/air filter etc . is automatically compensated for with modified fuelling as the extra air flow is measured by the air flow sensor.
Obviously this has it's limits - esp. fuel cuts.

G
#34 ·
Oli Goon,
Yep missed that but it is £435 plus the extras you need to map it (hand controller etc.).
Still it will come in at a very good price especially when you look at the prices of Motec etc.

AndrewN,
Did the $1500 include the MAP sensor?
I hope your father is OK!

G
#35 ·
hh6

yeah included the 1.5 bar map sensor.

hopefully the old man will be alright, bit of a shock, found face down in the swimming pool and nobody knows what happened

i was right at the other end of the country and driving back turned out to be quicker than flying...

andrew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.