Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all.

With the way my life is moving on and family growing a sensible performance car is looking much more appealing to me these days. The mrs wants rid of her Scooby for something a little more discreet, cheaper and more comfortable.

Always thought the Focus ST models were a lot of car for the money. I know they're only 222bhp in a heavy body so compared to what I'm used to it'll be dull but can't help but think that 2.5 lump would make for a lovely effortless cruiser.
I'm also aware they are very common to cracked liners, weak driveshafts and are starting to rust.

Has anybody owned one here who can share their experiences? I've never owned a ford in my life so it's a completely new venture for me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
If you're going to move away from a rally rep, then I'd suggest moving to a hot hatch is only going to feel like a downgrade (less power, usually FWD, smaller) and as it's for family reasons, why not move into a super barge - something like an S4, M3, M5 or S6?

Even though they might be slower overall, they give you comfort and practicality to make up for it.

·
Horizon chaser
977 Posts

I have had three of them. On a blue mk3 estate now. Wouldn't buy any other performance car as a daily. Best value for money out there. A remap and de res of the exhaust will have you popping and banging when you want your hooligan side out and are very rapid. Both of mine were on eibach springs, revo map and exhaust. The grey facelift was nice a 2010 one should have every extra on them. The pre facelift are getting old now but if you can stretch the mk3 is brilliant. I have heard what has been said on here about them but it isn't an evo. As a performance car there is nothing out there to beat it. The rear end on it is immense. Lift off oversteer ahoy! The downside is the noise isn't as good. But everything else is brilliant!

Golf R/GTI boring and everyone has one on lease
S3 it will get nicked by travellers
M3 couldn't bring myself to own one.

Go and test drive one and have a look on you tube at de res ST. I never had a problem with the grey one and the black one was mistreated by previous owner so spun a bearing. But no sign of cracked liners or driveshaft issue.

Hope that helps and I expect grief but I love them!

·
Premium Member
9,976 Posts
Been looking at the ST 225 myself Ben.

Was after a quick pretty cheap run around. Not keen on the Megane, I'm unsure about the VXR as while I like the look of them I just can't get over the fact the image it gives (Around this way 8/10 who own them also sleep in there Burberry caps).

The ST seems to be middle ground out the 3, doesn't offer anything exceptional but does most things well. Like you I feel the 2.5 would be effortless on longer trips.

I think the MK2 facelift look the best with the revised front bumper and lights.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I had one very briefly as a part ex. Drove it for a month or so, didn't rate it to be honest but i have never had an interest in fords so probably a bit biased.

You can never get the power down and the torque steer is pretty bad as you might expect. No point even trying in the wet. Aside from the obvious FWD aspect it was okay, but it didn't really feel anything special. I imagine the RS is a whole different kettle of fish though

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
I owned one for a few years

Unless you're launching the car or doing track days you'll never have a problem with the driveshafts.

Liners are a lottery, my was running 300bhp and abused on track and never missed a beat while people have had them crack with just normal driving o the road.

Drinks as much petrol as an Evo :mhihi:

I had one for 7 years great car nothing went wrong with it. Cracked liners imo is poor tuning.

Mark
Poor tuning isn't solely to blame. Standard cars have cracked liners and even cars running ford approved Mountune upgrades have.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
I owned one for a few years

Unless you're launching the car or doing track days you'll never have a problem with the driveshafts.

Liners are a lottery, my was running 300bhp and abused on track and never missed a beat while people have had them crack with just normal driving o the road.

Drinks as much petrol as an Evo :mhihi:

Poor tuning isn't solely to blame. Standard cars have cracked liners and even cars running ford approved Mountune upgrades have.
You should see the maps I have seen shocking.

Mark

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,843 Posts
You looked at the Mazda 3 MPS as an alternative? Had plenty of fun with those on track and less common than a Ford (although shares a few bits). I have normal Mazda 3 on a 57 plate and it knock spots off it's Focus equivalent to be honest imo.

·
acting daft since 1969
19,575 Posts
isnt he mazda scary on fuel ,even compared to an evo its daft

my brother has a ST estate same as above but in red ,if you can get over the bonnet and bumper gaps wonky ,its the same on them all ,there quite nice ,but that bonnet gap would drive me mad ,and theres no cure for it from what i believe ,but fuel is an issue my brother doesnt use his very much because its so crap

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I've had fords nearly all my life and I did nearly once buy a 2008 facelift ST, the thing that put me off was the cracking of liners too. As said it is a lottery as it happens to standard tune cars as well as uprated ones.
I once read that it's due to the very thin water jackets between the liners, and under spirited driving the coolant boils, air gaps obviously appear which then means the liners are not being cooled, which then causes them to crack.
The RS's are a different design so they're safe.
This was enough to put me off as they were 15k when I was looking about 7yrs ago, so I bought a bm 540 sport instead and used the other money toward moving house.

·
Horizon chaser
977 Posts
isnt he mazda scary on fuel ,even compared to an evo its daft

my brother has a ST estate same as above but in red ,if you can get over the bonnet and bumper gaps wonky ,its the same on them all ,there quite nice ,but that bonnet gap would drive me mad ,and theres no cure for it from what i believe ,but fuel is an issue my brother doesnt use his very much because its so crap
I get 33mpg and most is 420ish on a tank so not too shabby.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
We had an ST 3 a few years ago, nice drive, practical and never had any problems in 3 years but It didn't feel that quick in standard form. Wife stated using it to commute 50miles per day so sold it given she never got more than 30mpg and insurance was more than my 800bhp R35!

Decent car but don't expect a big shove in the back when you press the throttle. Check the cost of insurance and mpg won't be more than low 30's. A lot less if you like having fun..

I believe the newer ST is a bit quicker tho.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,843 Posts
I think we are all kinda missing the point by actually putting the words:

sensible, performance and car in the same sentence and then talking fuel economy, general running costs like insurance and then pitfalls of reliability :handsup:

IF you want to have a sensible car you cannot really use the word performance in the same way as (collective) we on the forum that own Evos call it.

SO if you look at say a Fiesta, instead of an ST look at an EcoBoost or similar. Something that looks the part but doesn't go that fast, etc.

At least I think it makes some kind of sense.

I am even thinking of selling my Mazda 3 and getting a Mazda 2/Fiesta or similar so I can get cheaper tax and insurance IF I buy the right model of course. Just purely because I don't use it enough and I may as well pay less for the above to not use that car either :lol:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Drove the latest one a year ago, pretty punchy engine but a lot of torque stear. Felt pretty heavy too, handling was reasonable. Great everyday car I think.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think everyday and performance can go together very well, isn't that the ethos of a true hot hatch? I used to use my Clio 172 on a weekly 200 mile commute then drive over the the ring on long weekends and thrash the nuts off it before cruising back, even managed over 40mpg throughout it's life with me, Epic car!

I wasn't aware the STs mpg was quite so bad, it seems like for the massive fuel consumption your not getting a whole lot of performance.

·
Horizon chaser
977 Posts
I think everyday and performance can go together very well, isn't that the ethos of a true hot hatch? I used to use my Clio 172 on a weekly 200 mile commute then drive over the the ring on long weekends and thrash the nuts off it before cruising back, even managed over 40mpg throughout it's life with me, Epic car!

I wasn't aware the STs mpg was quite so bad, it seems like for the massive fuel consumption your not getting a whole lot of performance.
Ben the fuel consumption isn't that bad. I have had one for in different guises for 6 years until I briefly lost my mind and brought a diesel mondeo. The new one It reads over 50 on the motorways. And the older ones I got average of 30. Remapping they are much better. You really need to have a go in one and see if it makes you smile. I got rid of the diesel as it didn't. The thing is you are coming out of an evo so nothing will be as quick.

That 5 cylinder growl and rasp will get you. With a couple of lights mods as stated already a remap and de res of exhaust.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
My brother has a mk3 ST, yeh its fast if you use it right and its lovely inside, his is an ST2. You wont be blown away by the take off speeds as its fwd and just doesn't compare but once your moving its good fun. His is completely standard but you can tell there is potential for a great exhaust note! Cant really comment on economy as i've only done short runs in it but its as to be expected. He had a fiesta zetec s 1.0 ecoboost before it and they are great fun plus really good mileage, i know a 1.0 sounds ridiculously small but that ecoboost engine is great, equivalent to a 1.6 N/a apparently. The fiesta would be my choice for a cheap fun daily without going too old to the likes of 172/182 clios which are also a laugh.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts