Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep going back to Ralliarts website to look at that gorgeous 3.5K miles sprint they have for sale.

Has anyone driven or owned one of these (or the RS2 which I imagine would be similar). This car seems to be same spec as the one that Autocar did their long term test on: 330bhp, exhaust, increased boost, no AYC/aircon/ABS/electric windows, quick rack, short ratio box, exhaust and amp; induction, lowered.

I was wondering how different it is to drive versus the GSR and how much quicker it feels with the extra horses and the CR gearbox. Also, if the final drive is lowered what is the maximum speed and does the box become a nightmare on track and on motorways. i.e. what sort of revs does it show at say 80/90/100mph in 5th ????

any help would be appreciated

Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The RS box is really a bit too short for road use and track use (unless it is v. tight and twisty).

Gearbox makes the car v quick though. Gears 3/4/5 are also shorter, as is the final drive.

Autocar test drove an RSX, not an RS, which has the GSR gearing, and aircon, as well as Recaro SR seats. The RS usually had crappy seats and a taxicab style rear seat (yuk) - dunno if Ralliart changed these for the UK (like the RSX).

Lack of aircon is a pain on a road car too. Great basis for tuning or track car. Can always change the final drive to a GSR one (gearbox out, but not too expensive).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry, AUtocar just tested it but it got a dam fine review ... saw the article on jerry's site

any ideas about revs at 90-ish mph and do you notice the lighweight ?

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to the Autocar articles (ties up with Tech Manual) the final drive is the same between the GSR and RS Sprint only the gear ratio's are different (3rd, 4th and 5th).
GSR 5th |EQU| 0.76 (21.6mph/1000rpm)
RS Sprint 5th |EQU| 0.83 (19.9mph/1000rpm)

Therefore the RS Sprint will be at just over 4500rpm @ 90mph in 5th gear and will have a top speed of roughly 140mph.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jackal,
the power wont be anywhere near 330bhp or 323lb/ft of torque.still runs standard ecu! seen one on the rollers give 307bhp.
I knw from how you drive and comments you made on the day of the bolney meet,and that the mechanical rear diff and short rack would be appealing to you.its your choice mate,my advise is drive it and see wot u think

Regards

Umreet

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely notice the light weight, and the RS DID have the shorter final drive!!! I know several people with RS's. The shorter 3rd/4th/5th doesn't make much difference at all (500 rpm higher in those gears for a given speed).

I think at 70 mph, the car was doing about 4500rpm in the RS. Going from very rough memory...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I own a left-hand-drive RS (Evo 5), and while I have never driven a GSR (they don't come in left-hand-drive), I can confirm that the RS is a pain at motorway speeds. Don't know off-hand what top speed is through the gears, but my car runs out of gears shy of about 220 kmh (approx 140 mph).

I've got a retrofitted aircon (essential in a tropical country!), but the lack of power windows/locks/mirrors can be annoying. Also no soundproofing for boot lining, so the car feels very raw . I rode a TME recently and the difference was quite noticeable.

I've seen some magazines or websites quoting the 5 RS's kerb weight at 1260 kg, versus more than 1300 for a 5 GSR. Anyone can confirm this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Umreet,

I knw from how you drive and comments you made on the day of the bolney meet

what u mean me saying that I wanted bigger flames http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

RS is quoted at about 1250/1260 in the spec sheet. As for the power the boost IS greater so it may be more than 300/310bhp.

I got it wrong - it was EVO MAG that ran a tester, that chap who got done for speeding in wales and also had some port and amp; poilsh work on it courtesy of PE. I was flicking through an old evo and he said when he was runninng it in it did 4K rpm at 70mph... that sounds pretty crap to me. On the plus side, although it maxes out at 140 I bet it gets there bloody quick !! :)

Really not sure whether to pursue a deal with Ralliart here. Its just that the mileage is so sweet and it would be the puuurfect car to modify. Maybe I should just sit tight and wait for a bargain EXtreme or TME later in teh year. I don't think the wife and amp; baby would like the extra rawness of the Sprint :( but then that never stopped me in eth past :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jackal,
If you want the lightweight, no AYC / ABS but still want the reasonable gearing then why not look for an RSX. It has the same gearing as the GSR apparently (although I thought it was the RS2 gearing which is the shorter 3rd 4th and 5th but longer final ratio).
The lighter weight does make a difference and I noticed that when Mr. Legend had his exhaust with cat and induction kit that I could more or less keep up with my standard RSX. Now if you tune it then you obviously don't have to tune as far as the GSR to get the same performance.

Just my 2 Euros worth

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rich

Drove the RS Sprint just after I ordered the VI. In those days Ralliart wanted a £6k deposit so couldn't get out of the deal. I thought the car superb (but it would have to be a second car). Never driven anything like it - until I drove eXtreme #01. Awesome cars - especially without AYC - they felt like RWD as you could control their cornering ability on the throttle much easier than you can with the GSR!

Makes sense as a second car only! Price looks good too, althouh the only thing missing for me is AirCon!

JF

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Makes sense as a second car only!

Jerry - is it really that raw then ? Its got to do the family outings and the 60 min run to the in-laws and the odd holiday in UK and amp; France.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rich

I think you would be smiling all the time - but the family would be wanting to travel by plane/bus/taxi, anything other than ride in that thing ! Well, that would be families answer - I have to say the EVO VII is much easier to live with. But as previously mentioned - the acceleration is fantastic with the shorter gearing and the control with the quick rack is great! The suspension on the Eibachs is positively an improvement on the GSR's!

Only real answer is to make the pilgrimage to Dudley and have a go!

JF

PS Posties just arrived with a big box marked Ralliart - time to get cold - catch you later!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts