Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading through the buyers guide (very good, btw :D ) and I'm a bit confused now.

I didn't realise the difference between the RS and GSR stretched quite so far. No ABS, no AYC, not as good LSD, no Twin Plate Clutch and 125mph top speed

I'm looking at getting an Evo V or VI, has anyone driven an RS AND a GSR?

I would never normally opt for a heavier car if I had the choice, but the AYC alone makes me think maybe I should get a GSR. They also seem cheaper as they're more common.

What are your views on this?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
This has kinda been discussed rather a lot of times so it'd be worth a search to get more info.

However, I will say, if the car is a weekend weapon get an RS if it is for every day use then get a GSR. (g)AYC is a serious hinderance if you want to tune the car (will melt with anything near 400bhp put through it) It's a lot of cash to convert to an RS diff but the newer (g)AYC units (TME onwards) seem to be stronger. I think AYC is utter shite (in handling terms) but there are many that will disagree with me. I think you will find that the RS has a better rear LSD than a GSR ;) and that an RS is more likely to have an LSD on the front too.

No idea what your comment re the twin plate clutch is - no of them come with one as standard.

Spec wise in an RS you can end up with all sorts so the top speed is not necessarily as low as you say. My MR RS topped out at 155, I know of a VI with RS gear box that hit near 150. They get up to speed faster too due to less weight.

The last problem you will find is getting an RS - as you say there aren't many of them :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ;) very interesting

I wouldn't be interested in putting more than 400bhp through it so that's no problem. The car would be used everyday and attend maybe 3 or 4 trackdays a year.

Thanks for your comments, I won't rule out an RS just yet then ;)

I'd better do a search on AYC...

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Fish Monkey said:
I think you will find ....... that an RS is more likely to have an LSD on the front too.
I'm not too sure about this. I think GSRs were supplied with a helical/torsen front diff and the RS had an open front diff (unless an option was specified). I know for sure my E5GSR had a helical front diff from new.

I ran 450bhp thru an AYC for 9 months with no problems .... but then chickened out and bought an RS diff :D

Darryl

·
Gav
7,576 Posts
I had a VI GSR. Bought a VI RS. Then sold the GSR :)
Also rememmer you get the electrics and climate in the GSR. RS has none of this. No AYC and ABS like has been said.

If you can put up with no comforts, get the RS. You won't be disappointed. They're lighter too!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Ive got a 1 rs and I had it up to 148mph.

Wouldn't have done much more but it got there quickly :eek:

RS = :coolsm:

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
the other options are the 6 rs2 and the 6 rsx,the rsx has no ayc or ABS but it does have A/C,electric windows and front LSD als recaro SR front seats.
Hope this may help
Thanks Andrew

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys that's a great help,

Never heard of the RSX I'll keep an eye out for it.

Of course if I can find one at a decent price I'd love a TME :D

I'm not bothered in the slightest about creature comforts, I drive a stripped out 306 Rallye at the moment so there won't be much difference there. I just want a road legal track beast :D

I must say I'm suprised about the AYC not being up to much, from what I read up about them they seem similar to what the Skyline uses...

·
Premium Member
19,830 Posts
Red Mist said:
I'm not too sure about this. I think GSRs were supplied with a helical/torsen front diff and the RS had an open front diff (unless an option was specified). I know for sure my E5GSR had a helical front diff from new.

I ran 450bhp thru an AYC for 9 months with no problems .... but then chickened out and bought an RS diff :D

Darryl
Darryl,
Most GSR's were supplied with the Torsen units because Mitsi ran out of std open front diffs during production and put in the Torsen diff.

Rick,
The RSX will be tricky to find as Ralliart (now Xtreme) only ever made 30 of them (20 in white and 10 in silver) but they are a good compromise because they have the std GSR gearbox as well and so they don't top out until well past 150mph. They also have a 'big' 16G6 titanium turbo (which is bigger than the TME titanium unit), a few extra spot welds, the front LSD, potentially uprated conrod bolts (mine had them but Ralliart can't tell you which ones did and which didn't), No AYC or ABS, electric windows, Recaro SR seats, still has aircon but no climate control. It also has the lower suspension springs from the TME, the quick steering rack and doesn't have the foglight in the rear bumper or a rear wiper.

Think that about covers it

Andy

·
Registered
275 Posts
gsr+rs

I have driven both and in my opinion the rs is alot more exiting to drive,
It has bugger-all soundproofing lightwieght glass a closer ratio box,front strut brace and rear boot brace, and a titanium 16g tubby for quiker spool up and good power ;)

I have had 134mph on my gps speedo at 7750rpm if thats any help!

If you have any questions on rs ownership pm me.

rik.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks very much :D

To be fair a top speed of 125 (even if that WAS the case) won't be THAT much of a disadvantage, there's probably only a few tracks where you could take advantage of longer gearing.

Unfortunately the Nordschleife would be one of them :(

But 134? That sounds more like it :D

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
I've driven a few of each

GSR, RSX, RS & RS Sprint

If it will be driven hard on the road AYC isnt a bad thing especially if you fit front and rear top strut braces.

You have to be a good driver to pedal a RS on the road to keep with an average Jo in a GSR (if the weight was equal) ;) (the cheshire run videos proove that) :D

If you like full on driving then go for the RS

If you want to be a lazy driver with creature comforts go for a GSR

Jez

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
skyline is very different car to evo. evo is proper 4wd rally derived car. skyline is basically a rwd car that can transfer some (up to 50%) of the power up front. the clever bit on a skyline is that the amount of power transfer to the front is controlled electronically.

on early skylines (r32) the transfer to the front was setup to give loads of oversteer - which journos love but is not that quick. later ones may be the same i dunno.

the e4-6 has a viscous centre diff that only apportions torque when it detects wheel spin. otherwise the ayc is the only active electronically controlled torque system. on e7&8 they had a variable lockup on the centre diff to help to counteract the tendenecy of either axle to break away.

pretty much agree with fishfaces synopsis of whether to have ayc/lsd at the rear. personally i have a gsr as its my main mode of transport.

oh and you can tone down the ayc action (tme was reduced over e6 anyway) by fitting a variable pressure switch to the ayc accumulator.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really can't wait to get one :D

Hopefully it won't be too long :( although my current car is perfectly adequate for b-road thrashes, and I've still a lot to learn about driving a car on the limit.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just to put a spanner in the works!! I have been advised that a MR RS does not have the same spec engine as a MR300 etc! Apparantly the RS has the same engine as the standard Vlll 300 and does not have the revised cams and higher compression pistons. Also an RS might have a smaller turbo.

I had my standard MR RS on the rollers and it produced 304bhp and 298ib/ft of torque. Not bad put not as good as a MR300 which I seen claims for 317bhp and 314lb/ft!!!

I achieved these figures running 1.1bar dropping to 1bar, the above figures seems to confirm the MR RS has slightly less power!

My RS hits the limiter at an indicated 155mph!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts