Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of trying to set up on my own in the field of Computer 3D modeling and product design (About time I used my degree and stopped shying away from the fact that i'm 21 and still don't know what to do with life :D ).

What I'm looking for is a few suggestions from any Graphic Designers etc on layouts, colour schemes and text schemes to make myself a small A4 double sided leaflet giving a bit on info about previous work I've done, some pictures of the 3D work that I've already done and my intensions as a business.

Is there any sort of way that will get me noticed when this leaflet falls on a prospective clients desk? i.e eyecatching layout or colour that will Wow people into wanting me to do a job for them.

It's not for a CV but more an advertisement selling me as a private business.

I'm open to any advice that anyone has to give on this matter and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers muchly to anyone who can help,

Ally ;)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers, PM'd him so we'll see what happens.

Any more advice or help from anyone else wouls still be greatly appreciated.

cheers

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything helps justnow :)

I do a bit of autocad draughting as well. Cos I'm just trying to set up I'm fortunate enough to be able to do a bit of work for my dad who's a structural engineer and uses autocad for most of his work.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
1800t-GSR said:
Everything helps justnow :)

I do a bit of autocad draughting as well. Cos I'm just trying to set up I'm fortunate enough to be able to do a bit of work for my dad who's a structural engineer and uses autocad for most of his work.
I've used 3dsmax for 10 years. Mostly in the games industry though.

·
Banned
4,875 Posts
Slaine said:
I've used 3dsmax for 10 years. Mostly in the games industry though.
Snap :)

i still use it today, doing work for Ad agencies, got a few things going on with Sony, smirnoff, davidoff.

was a bit lucky how i got the work but sometimes thats how it is, a lot of the time its about contacts.

NEVER burn a bridge EVER!

good luck with the venture mate

Si

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
SJSdesign said:
Snap :)

i still use it today, doing work for Ad agencies, got a few things going on with Sony, smirnoff, davidoff.

was a bit lucky how i got the work but sometimes thats how it is, a lot of the time its about contacts.

NEVER burn a bridge EVER!

good luck with the venture mate

Si
Nice one! :D It's not what you know, it's who you know.
Had a deal with Konami with a game I was designing with a partner because we knew the Development Director, trouble was we were placed in a queue with 5 other developers, would of taken about 8 months to sign a contract! Rubbish.

Still trying to get hold of the 7.5 upgrade though for Max :(
Has some nice features for Radiosity.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've never had the chance to use 3ds it's always Form-Z I've used and hopeflly I'm going to be able to get my hands on Maya and Alias in the near future. Always good to be able to have a bit of experience in more than one program.

Getting started is definetly the hardest bit i.e trying to establish connections and ties with various people or other. I sppose a lot of it is word of mouth as well though.

Cheers for the luck, I'm gonna need it :D

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
1800t-GSR said:
I've never had the chance to use 3ds it's always Form-Z I've used and hopeflly I'm going to be able to get my hands on Maya and Alias in the near future. Always good to be able to have a bit of experience in more than one program.

Getting started is definetly the hardest bit i.e trying to establish connections and ties with various people or other. I sppose a lot of it is word of mouth as well though.

I've used both, Maya is nice, but nowhere near as user friendly as Max7, plus Max is really leaping forward in capabilities, and is much more fun to work with.

Defo try Max first.

·
Banned
4,875 Posts
still on Max5 its more than enough for the stuff i do at the mo.

but if will take a look at the new version at some point.

i started on 3d studio DOS, but have used lighwave, maya, softimage in the past.

Who you know is as important as what you know these days!

Si

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
SJSdesign said:
still on Max5 its more than enough for the stuff i do at the mo.

but if will take a look at the new version at some point.

i started on 3d studio DOS, but have used lighwave, maya, softimage in the past.

Who you know is as important as what you know these days!

Si
Oh right, didn't realise you were using Max.

Yeah Autodesk 3d Studio 3 was my first, quite rubbish! But did the job at the time.

Yeah who you know is better, the evidence is out there, loads of rubbish games by high up publishers, Tomb Raider seems to spring to mind :crackup: :crackup:

·
Registered
557 Posts
1800t-GSR said:

You can always download Maya from their site for educational purposes - full version if i remember but think it saves with a Maya watermark over your work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.