Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically these cameras read your number plate at two seperate points and calculate the average speed by time travelled between the two. However, once a 'offence' has been detected does the second camera activate a trigger to take a photograph of the car? The reason I ask is because number plate cloning is fairly widespread these days so how do these cameras 'prove' that it was your car doing the dirty deed? I mean, there must be something otherwise why are organisations also utilising truvelo cameras and the like to 'prove' that the driver of the vehicle was comitting the offence?

Oh and before you ask, I havn't been setting off any cameras up'n'down the UK (well i bloody well hope not); just merely curious.

You go to a court and say, hey it wasnt me - i was here at such'n'such time (easy enough to prove whether you were or not) so it must be a false number plate; what sort of position does that put the judge into?

·
Registered
66 Posts
yeah they take a digital pic apprantly,and theyre wired up to the plod so they dont need to be monitored or film changed etc....

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
I remember a couple of years ago, there were a couple of cars running round the UK with the plate 'A1 FTO'

The guy who legally owned it got a few parking tickets/speeding tickets for other peoples cars, basically they were all FTOs and one of them was even the same colour.

IIRC he just wrote to the relevany police authorities with proof he could not have been in the area at the time (his petrol reciepts and car park tickets etc) and i think one car was getting a parking ticket while another was being done for speeding about 100 miles away.

I don't think any of these ever hit court after his explanation.

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sandstorm said:
yeah they take a digital pic apprantly,and theyre wired up to the plod so they dont need to be monitored or film changed etc....
Ah right, that explains it then - it was unclear to me if they actually took a photo of the car or not. It gave the impression it just translated the image into the relevant number plate and did not give any information on the 'catchment' size of the photo.

·
Registered
66 Posts
it APPARENTLY only retains the photo if the vehicle has been speeding if not it is then erased , but i heard the were planning on wiring up the whole system together across citys so you if you were to drive from one end of the town to the other and speed you could get done....hmm scary thought hey..........

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm I wonder if there is a market for brilliant power infrared spotlights on the front of the vehicle.. ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
i heard (aka folklore) of a guy who had a lcd plate across his plate and when he pressed a switch it blacks out the number plate cool idea!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Anyone know what happened when people started refusing to state who was driving the vehicle on the grounds that it`s against the European Human Rights legislation to be forced to incriminate yourself. I`m sure I read about people getting away with it on this basis. Am I also right in thinking if you have 9 points and get a camera ticket, if you refuse to state who was driving worst that can happen is you are done for refusing to provide details- which doesn`t carry a ban??

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dunno, if you fail to provide driver details then the cps could probably prosecute anyway and at that point you would have to disprove that you were the driver. Go to court, lose and pay a lot more.

·
Registered
298 Posts
GlobalGB said:
Dunno, if you fail to provide driver details then the cps could probably prosecute anyway and at that point you would have to disprove that you were the driver. Go to court, lose and pay a lot more.
Yes, you would definately lose, the fine is a lot more but you get to keep your licence, instead of totting up 12 points and getting banned

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well no I'm not sure about that - if you fail to provide to driver details and they prosecute you anyway for the offence and say you lose. You get done for whatever offence you commited (say an SP30) AND done for not providing driver details (maybe another court case?). So you still get the x points and the fine, hit 12 and automatically get banned under the totting up procedure. Or have I got this wrong?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts