Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANDY RSX Induction kits

My XT S 7 has a elephans trunk induction pipe the same diameter as the turbo inlet & fitted with a foam ralliart filter

If this was changed to a larger diameter inlet pipe made from smoth aluminium with a nice taper into the turbo would this improve air flow & hence performance.

Also the redundant recirc pipe is blanked off, this must disrupt the airflow

Taking my lead from water pump engineering it is important to keep suction velociyies low, pipes are normally 1.5 the diameter of the discharge pipe on a pump.

Does any one understand the engineering design of this

What performance increase can be achieved using a larger pipe

Is there any down side

·
Premium Member
19,830 Posts
Fatman,
It will help, but only by a small amount and you probably won't notice it.

You will get a reduction in the pressure drop in the pipework up to the turbo so you will have a higher pressure on the suction side which will help the turbo. However, the amount of pressure drop reduction will be small.

Andy

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AndyF_RSX said:
Fatman,
It will help, but only by a small amount and you probably won't notice it.

You will get a reduction in the pressure drop in the pipework up to the turbo so you will have a higher pressure on the suction side which will help the turbo. However, the amount of pressure drop reduction will be small.

Andy
Andy I am familiar with pressure drops in water pipework ie EL & K values, velocity, friction loss etc. Not had lots of experience with air at the small end, most of the duct work we do on engine test cells has a cross section area of 2.4 M x 1.8 M

Have you any flow rate, pressure drop caulculation data for induction, intercooler & hardpipe systems please. A spread sheet woul be so nice.

·
Premium Member
19,830 Posts
Yeah,
I've got yet another spreadsheet that I use for work (chemical engineer) for calculating pressure drops through pipes for gases and liquids. It also does corners, T-pieces, reducers etc....

Drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send it on to you.

Andy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts