Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So hello from Scotland!

I have been here lurking around, reading up information without posting anything. Some great information on this forum so thumbs up!

So yeah basically I am in my mid 20's and have been driving for about 1 1/2 years. I am currently saving for something fun (My daily is a 2016 Polo R-Line 110bhp) but have my eyes on an Evo VIII. My budget will be around £20k...

Now considering the quickest thing I have driven is my polo at 110BHP am I totaly crazy for looking at pre-modified Evos in the region of ~500BHP? Dont get me wrong Im not scared to drive a car like that but I would like to not wrap it round a tree. My insurance will be laughable but I do have a busy work life so it would be a case of insuring it for X weekend at a time, then leaving it in my garage when I have no time (with insurance to cover it if stolen of course).

Would you say this is a bad idea and that I may kill myself? :lol:

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
are you crazy???... well yes... but in the best way. if it's within your means and it's what you want to do, go for it 😊

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
:lol: doesn't matter what power you're running on any car you control how sensible of daft you want to be :smthumbup

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:lol: doesn't matter what power you're running on any car you control how sensible of daft you want to be :smthumbup
Yeah I would think about perhaps turning the boost down to make it more manageable and work myself up as I can more confident in the car.

·
Premium Member
Evo VI RSX
1,789 Posts
Start with a standard (ish) power one and when your used to that power (will take a while only driving a weekend here and there) then mod it and add power. If you go straight in at 500 bhp anything less will seem slower to you afterwards and your basically spoiling all the fun you can have in between. Unless your dragging it you won't need more than 340 anyway. The drivers skills will make more difference than horsepower after that.

Also consider a full years insurance on limited mileage as the overall costs might not be that different but it will be insured against theft and you will get a years no claims as well.

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Start with a standard (ish) power one and when your used to that power (will take a while only driving a weekend here and there) then mod it and add power. If you go straight in at 500 bhp anything less will seem slower to you afterwards and your basically spoiling all the fun you can have in between. Unless your dragging it you won't need more than 340 anyway. The drivers skills will make more difference than horsepower after that.

Also consider a full years insurance on limited mileage as the overall costs might not be that different but it will be insured against theft and you will get a years no claims as well.
Common sense as always chiz.:smthumbup
Good advice is hard to come bye, and ye has it in bucket loads.:smthumbup

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Common sense as always chiz.:smthumbup
Good advice is hard to come bye, and ye has it in bucket loads.:smthumbup
Alright I see, well I will take your advise and perhaps look at an FQ-320 ( or less modified ) and start from there. Gives me a chance to get used to the power and mod from there... then the fun begins!

Thanks as always :)

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Hi matey I had loads of fun in my first standard evo & I used it as a daily drive
& done 100++ miles a day round trip most of it b roads....used to fill it up every night on the way home :mhihi:

As said id be looking for a nice fresh lightly modified example hard to find one
that's not had some upgrades but you will end up modifying it at some point
anyway, as for your insurance a tracker & adding a partner or your mom lol
will bring the cost down a little & if your a car club member also helps :smthumbup

Crazy is the way forward :smthumbup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts