Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys out there recommend to go for aluminium piping or go for silicone ones like Samco. We are talking about the turbo hoses here. What are the pros and amp; cons?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Good question to be honest never really thought about it.I'm sure somebody has an answer, although heat must have a bearing on the material used.

Kevin A

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Silicon hose has become a fashion statement for modified cars and although it has superior physical properties to many, but not all conventional polymer(rubber) hose in the realms of road cars it is actually overspecified. The problem with the OEM hose is that it is all black and there is no easy way to determine the compound from which it is made , however some of the OEM flexible hose on todays cars is manufactured from very advanced polymers in response to the very arduous operating environment of the modern car under bonnet area and some of this can be equal to if not superior to silicon.

Basically u do not have to be concerned with the standard flexibles being inadequate.

However , we cannot deny that brightly coloured silicon hose significantly improves the appearance of our beloved motors http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

From the perspective of the boost side of a turbo installation (the intake side does not stress connections) aluminium pipe will simply not expand either radially or longitudinally to any effective extent , consequently no boost pressure will be absorbed by this process.
Additionally aluminium will shed any heat soak far more quickly than any polymer hose.

However, regardless of how high the quality of silicon or other reinforced rubber hose it will expand to a varying degree , so boost is lost although by a small amount , the larger the inside diametre and the longer the hose the more the effect.

Although we talk about high boost on our cars , this is only relative to how an internal combustion engine see's boost , the actual pressures are low , even F1 turbo's at 6 bar , this is only 88 psi . Silicon or other types of polymer hose for automotive applications is based on industrial hose for which a standard off the shelf pressure rating wud be 10 bar , industrial applications however are not expansion sensitive , none the less the pressure we have on our turbo's does not bother hose much from a strength and durability perspective.

Bottom line is , alloy pipe is better than silicon on the turbo boost side , for other applications as far as we are concerned there is nothing between silicon and OEM rubber apart from aesthetics.

In case yr wondering why I'm coming over all know it all , I used to work in the flexible hose industry and am still occasionally involved with the family hose distribution business.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have Alloy pipes on my E4 with Samco hoses to join the pipes to the intercooler.

I haven't noticed any improvement over the rubber ones but they look cool when you open the bonnet !

Jonathan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks indepth infor. from Evoboy. I guess I will just have to leave the std. piping as it is. When I upgrade the intercooler, the aluminium piping comes with it and also when I have a battery/filter relocation kit, it has a aluminium piping as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts