Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody knowledge about a good ALS control valve? I have one operated by the vacuam from the manifold|PLS| electric switch and it is no good.
Thanks,
Roy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Roy,
What control valve do you have at the moment and why do you say it's no good?

I'm guessing ALS - Anti-lag system and are you referring to the Secondary Air Valve - I'm investigating this on my 6 at the moment (see posts elsewhere by Sean, PTB and myself). My current thinking is that the valve is disabled through the ECU on non competition cars. Hopefully, I can get to the bottom of this at the weekend, well on my car anyway.

If Im right with the above, Id be interested in hearing your thoughts on the subject.

Howard.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howard,
The ALS, anti lag system, is a part of the Motec system I have installed in the car. Basically, it is a valve, or actually a switch which is fitted to the throttle body. Usually it is in the close position, which means that the piston in the switch is held in place by the vacuum from the car, and does not affect the engine work.
When activated from the cockpit, by switching a switch, the piston will slide pressing (by the force of a spring) on the throttle body lever, preventing the intake valve to close completely, which means, that when the car is idling or on gear change and throttle pedal is released, the intake valve will not be completely closed, so the turbo will continue to supply air to the engine (and fuel will flow in). This mixture will not burn but explode in the exhaust after throttle pedal is re engaged, and the benefit is having the turbo already spinning avoiding the lag.
The only problem in my car is that the piston is not held in place by the force of the vacuum, so I get continues ALS which is highly undesirable when driving in urban areas.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys Happy New Year
Roy do you meen the switch/valve holds the throttle open or does it open the secondary air valve? Are you able to adjust the preload on the spring in the valve? by doing this it may help the vacum to hold the valve in place
Cheers Sean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sean,
It is the switch that holds the throttle open. What is a secondary air valve? There is no adjustment for the spring, and the problem with the vacuum is that it does not hold for more then a few seconds, before disappearing completely, i.e. might be a problem with the vacuum.
Roy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roy,

I am confused by what I am reading in this thread. In particular the reference to using a mechanism to hold the throttle open as part of the Motec ALS system.

Mitsubishi has incorporated into the throttle body a bypass that allows airflow around the actual throttle valve. The bypass allows for very accurate control of air and though designed primarily for idle control may be commandeered for ALS.

Why has your installer not used the already present system? Perhaps you should ask if it is possible to have your Motec control the already present Mitsubishi bypass stepper motor instead of the malfunctioning add-on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Patrick,
Thank you for the information. I did no that it is possible to use the idle motor for the ALS. The installer of the Motec system (he is the distributor of Motec in Sweden) insisted that the valve is essential for the ALS system as the idle motor may not be controller via the Motec M48. Obviously, I am not an expert on this, and appreciate any additional information that you have, or a contact that can guide me through the installation/ tell me what I need and how to get it.
Thanks, Roy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts