Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been considering one of these new Alpine head units with the ipod interface.

Does anyone have one and can let me know what they are like to use?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Got the iPod interface with my Alpine headunit. Navigation is a bit tricky as the headunit only has a two line display. The headunit controls everything so the Ipod can be tucked away out of sight.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers mate for the response.

Yes it was the navigation which I was worried about.

Are playlists and shuffle both available?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
yes shuffle and playlists are both available. I found that playlists are the easiest way to navigate - there are other limitations you should be aware of.
Do a search for KCA-420 here for more info.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
another option is to use a Dension Ice Link, this allows you to connect the iPod to your headunit but you use the iPod or headunit for Navigation. You would need to mount the Ipod within reach.
This Dension link is available for OEM and after market headunits including the Alpine M-Bus range but not the AiNet range.
Details here

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, wasnt aware of the problems thought these would be the bees knees! I will need to read alot more but it appears the newer headunits are better than the old ones.

Not so sure now.

At present I have the ipod in a docking station hard wired into the headunit via the cd changer input - it actually works a treat.

Will take a look at the Dension Link and see if that is for me.

Heres a pic of my current setup.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The downside with the present setup is that changing/finding tracks via the click wheel is a bit hairy on the move. Sure it works fine on shuffle.

Was also hoping for a bigger display for track name etc - the ipod display is a tad small.

Having the ipod tucked away also makes the whole install neater.

Thats quite a good link that ipod forum and spent alot of time reading stuff on there last night.

It would appear that most things on the market at present are flawed in some manner.

Also spotted the Kenwood interface and was thinking of keeping the current setup but use the interface just to get the track info on to the headunit display.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Stevo4 said:
The downside with the present setup is that changing/finding tracks via the click wheel is a bit hairy on the move. Sure it works fine on shuffle.

Was also hoping for a bigger display for track name etc - the ipod display is a tad small.
Don't think the Alpine set-up is for you.

Have you thought about something like this DH100ix?

·
Banned
180 Posts
DOH!! Got an itrip on the way, looks like i will ve selling it on ebay pretty quick from what i have read :(

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which Alpine headunit do you have?

I have read about the dh100ix on the ipod forum and yes it does seem like a good one - had some trouble finding the cost - think it was about £350 - if so its more than i wanted to pay.

QC - people seem divided on the itrip some say they are great some say there is too much interferance. I was going to get one for my daughters Punto so if you find its doesnt suit your evo drop me a pm and i will have it off you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts