Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not the right forum, but it does seem to be very active and knowledgable.

Evo is on the list (IX or 04/54 mr), but I cannot dismiss either the 147GTA or 156GTA. I realise chalk and cheese, but would like to hear any views you people have. Once you have sat/driven one they get under the skin, which Evo does not.

I am aware of front wd vs 4wd, but when I have driven GTA I notice that the V6 engine weight over the front wheels sorts a lot of the understeer problems that you normally notice. It sounds really sweet. It loses lots of money in the first 6-12 month (similar in % terms to evo) making it a good buy (1 yr old) second hand. Goes like stink (but not as manic or twitchy as Evo). Still a head turner but without the chav profile. Slightly softer suspension. Build quality appears to be good (for italians).

Thoughts??

·
Registered
752 Posts
Aha, when the GTA first came out I test drove one as my day-to-day car, as I owned a 147 Selespeed at the time to do a long commute in. The GTA sounds gorgeous and looks lovely; that's the Italians over the Japanese for you...For a front wheel drive car the handling is good, and the equipment levels are superb, but I started slinging about in the wet on the test drive, and it oversteers and wheelspins like mad. There's a lot of power and torque there but IMO, the chassis and suspension is just not up to the job of delivering it to tarmac effectively.

The build quality on my 147 was good, better than my Evo 8 in fact, and they are far nicer looking motors.

But as you say, chalk and cheese. If you want a lovely piece of design - that is also pretty quick - get a GTA, but if you want a 'proper' sports car then the Evo is the way to go. But yes, Evo's are somewhat sterile in comparison to the new Alfa range.

Ben

1 - 2 of 2 Posts