Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've been checking the old forum posts but can't find a definite answer, apologies if this is a dumb question though but I've only had my car a few weeks...

I recently bought an evo IX 360 MR and in the manual it (confusingly) talks about there being 2 keys - 1 with buttons on for the locks and 1 for the immobiliser. It reckons that you need to use the immobiliser key (the one without the buttons) to activate / deactivate the immobiliser and it states that if you mix the keys up you could potentially open the door and the alarm will go off. I'm more worried about not immobilising / alarming it though.

The bloke I bought the car off never used the immobiliser key he just used the regular one with the buttons on. In fact the other key still has a rubber protector on it so clearly that baby hasn't ever been used. Does this mean he was never locking his car properly or is the manual just talking ****?

Even more confusingly I deliberately locked the car with the immobiliser key and unlocked it with the regular key to see what happened and the alarm didn't go off.

I just wanna know that when I lock my pride and joy that she's gonna be safe. Can anyone set me straight?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hi,

The immobiliser is factory fit and the Cobra alarm added in the UK when it's badged up as an FQ car. The Cobra alarm are pretty inferior in my opinion.

I just use the regular key/fob as well!

2 beep = the car is locked and immobiliser set
1 beep = the car is opened or immobiliser disabled

If you don't start the car in a short period of time the immobiliser rearms. press the keyfob once to disarm or twice to lock/immobilise.

Personally, I hate the alarm but car hasn't been nicked yet:rucrazy: touch wood! I had alot of fun when I had just bought the car without an explanation of how it worked!:shake:

Plenty of good quality alarms out there if you are prepared to spend the money!

·
Registered
19,543 Posts
Are you talking about the buttons on the ignition key, as these are just remote lock/unlock.
The Cobra alarm is activated/deactivated using the large button on the Cobra fob.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks, that's v helpful. I'm slightly worried now though becuase I don't have a Cobra key Fob, I just have 2 keys - 1 with 2 buttons on and 1 with no buttons on.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just in case anyone has a similar concern and reads this thread - I managed to speak to a bloke at Xtreme who put me straight.

Bascially the IX 360 MR (and maybe the regular 360 as well) have the cobra alarm integrated into the mitsubishi key. So when you lock / unlock the doors via the buttons on the key it also arms / disarms the alarm and immobiliser.

Apparently you can also fold in the mirrors and open and close the windows via the same buttons. You can't halt the relentless advancement of technology!

Take 2 key fobs into your evo? Not me - I got a 360

;-)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
on the GSR jap import. 2 quick press's and the mirrors fold. Keep it pressed and the windows go up.

Also discovered a while back. The mirrors auto fold out every 100 yards:mhihi:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts