Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I own an EVO IV and I'm looking at replacing the factory air box and putting in an aftermarket air filter. I am looking at the pod type air filters. I am not sure which one to get? I am interested in the HKS Super Power Flow air filter, as I believe that this is the best and most commonly used (in Japan). I am also looking at the Apexi. I have asked several people, but lots of them believe the K and amp;N filters are the best. I know that the K and amp;N are washable, whereas the HKS is not.

More importantly, when I do install an air filter (whatever it be), do I need to make any other modifications to the car? e.g use a MAP sensor instead of the factory air flow meter? I've heard that the car may have problems if you over-oil the air filter and over time the oil drips onto the air flow meter element thus affecting its accuracy? Leads to running to lean/rich. So do I need to put in a MAP sensor or the sort? Or will the factory air flow meter still be OK with an after market air filter?

Thanks guys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
try www.evodata.cjb.net it a sample site of whats to come soon only has airfilters on tho for now

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's probably best to go for a dry filter as there is a chance that some oil could
come off of an HKS filter for example, enter into the air intake and burn the hot
wire on the air flow sensor, which would cause the car to run badly.
I have got a Blitz air filter which seems to do the business.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The HKS foam mushroom filter (Super Power Flow) is not oiled and in my opinion gives better protection than the Blitz. The Blitz is purely a fine metal mesh and will allow maximum air through put to the engine for maximum horse power gains but I honestly don't like the fact that dust can pass through it (hence I sold the one that came with my E6). The HKS foam filter will trap dust just like the OE filter but will allow a slightly better air flow than the OE filter. The HKS can be cleaned (although I believe HKS don't say that) and reused or replacement foam inserts can be bought for about £20 a time.

The HKS kit (and all other Filter/Induction kits) uses the original Air Flow Metering unit.

Remember if you are going for an aftermarket filter of any kind removing the original airbox will leave a hole (E4-6 not sure on earlier Evo's) in the inner wing. THIS MUST BE BLOCKED OFF! If you get water in through the hole, which will be very likely, the first place it will go will be into your air filter and then the engine resulting in hydraulic effect damage (bent con-rods or worse).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heave,
have to take u to task re yr comments on the Blitz filter.
No dust passes thru it mate !
I have this fitted to my VI and have checked the intake hose for any residual dust , there is none , it looks just the same as any other intake hoses I have seen on any other cars.

Actually , just for sake of discussion , no filter will remove 100% of airborn dust , but the stuff thats gets past is inconsequential as it's too fine and will just become suspended in the engine oil , one of it's many job's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EvoIV,

I ran a replacement filter, a Blitz, with the standard air flow meter on my IV as the only mod for a while. No problems at all.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys,

For those of you with aftermarket filters, what have you done about the hole left after removing the std airbox? HH6's experience of water damage is enough to make make me pay a bit extra to have the hole properly sealed!

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HH6,

I have a blitz filter on my evo II
It is stained a little on the top due to water coming through the bonnet vent directly above it.

Should I be worried about this 'water leaking into air filter' damage that you mention is possible???

regards
Jon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve

If I remember correctly, isn't the panel that normally fills the hole just riveted to the back of the filter cover? If so, perhaps you could remove it from the cover and fit it back into the hole.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If HH6 is such an expert on water entering the engine how come his engine went bang for this very reason?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any further thoughts about water entry ?
I've ducted air from my front bar through that hole HH6 is recommending to block off. I'm guessing most people have done the same ?
I've also removed the plastic insert which stops airflow from the bonnet mounted NACA duct.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ladyboy,
I became an expert after the event. Its called experience and some say you can learn from it.
The mechanics said that was the only reason they could see why my engine went but I have my own theroy as to what happened to my engine and its nothing to do with water but I am not prepared to discuss it on here....yet!

Sorry Evoboy,
I have had a Blitz filter (not fitted admittedly when I got the car) and have seen the holes in it. Lets just say I wasn't impressed, not just airbourne dust would get through it. If you want to convince me otherwise then get a Blitz and a handful of sand and pour on top of the filter and see what comes through. Do the same for a foam filter then compare. If the Blitz comes out the same as the foam one then will I be convinced! Also ask Blowdog about Blitz filters.
Dust may well get trapped in the oil but what does it actually have to go past to get in the oil? I would rather the dust got trapped in a filter than in my sump.
Don't get me wrong though, as I said before if you want maximum horses then you have to go for the Blitz as it will allow maximum air flow but I would rather stick with a foam type filter for peace of mind.
I have seen the Jun engined 1000Bhp Super Lemon Skyline with virtually no filter at all! Small children could have been sucked in, mind you the turbo's would have chopped them up small enough to go through engine anyway!

DaveG,
Correct! That is the easiest way of filling the hole but you obviously have to hack your old air box to do it. If you are not worried about trashing it then it will do the job perfectly otherwise you will have to find something else to do it.

White II,
Hmmmm....difficult one. Water Hydraulic damage to engines tend to happen after a large amount of water has entered the engine, like going through a large puddle at great speed scooping great amounts of water up over the bonnet (think of rally cars going through streams at full chat etc.) Small amounts of water entering the engine should not pose a problem but don't quote me on that! Lets just say if you do get large amounts of water entering the engine bay no filter in the would is going to save you. I have never liked the idea of air intakes in bonnets directly above the filter as I think that is asking for trouble, still it is better than the early Espace which if you drove through 6in to 8in's of water meant you shagged your engine as the air intake was that low! I suggest if you are worried that you block off the air intake in the bonnet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you drive carefully though water then your air intakes will be fine.
I am not trying to cause any hysteria! Just try to be sensible about it.

The mechanics reckoned that the only cause they could put to my engine being knackered was water hydraulic effect. I am not convinced as I hadn't been driving through any water when it happened or driven through any for a couple of days so that theory in my mind is complete b*llocks. As I have recently said I have my own theroy as to the cause of my engine failure but I do not want to discuss it on here yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heave,

I've finally got the filter fitted (Last Friday). It does make a difference to the car, in particular the turbo seems to spool up faster, and there is much less lag between the gears. Oh, and you get this great metallic sucking noise at about 2750RPM|PLS| and a lovely noise when you change gear, as the dump valve sends the air around. It all adds to the grin factor!

I got mine fitted at Tuning Japanese (Did a great job, and they have left some of the original airbox in place to cover the hole in the wing)

SteveC - Can't wait to get back on the Dyno again, I'm ready to open a whole can of Whupp Ass on ya! Has your blitz filter arrived yet?

All the Best,

Andy Hedges
L 300 EVO

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good point by white II there - I am checking tonight whether water could get onto an uncovered (eg: blitz) filter through the NACA duct and will report back. Maybe the way to go is an airbox such as the Spec-R alloy version combined with a Blitz?

Andy - No Blitz yet but any time, any rollers - my VI has its V-butt kicking boots on http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to throw my two peneth in.
I thought that the whole idea of the Spec-R and other airbox's was to seal the air intake off from the hot engine bay air and utilise the cold air entering from around the headlight and afore mentioned hole.
Secondly in my opinion you would have to driving through a flood, and I mean over the bonnet (air filter submerged)to let enough water into the engine to cause any damage. Any small amounts of water entering the engine would be atomised by the compressor wheel of the turbo and may actually help in the combustion process (water injection is actually quite good in small amounts).
Well thats my say.

BTW I've had an APEXi airfilter fitted for nearly a year now with no problems.

Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I want to get a different air intake, but I dont know which. I thought I d get a Power Engineering Air box with battery relocation kit and a Blitz steel mesh filter, but now Heave Ho 6 is telling me it will let sand through, or at least he is suggesting it, so now I m worried and I end up with the factory paper filter in my car http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
So then I thought I get the Power Engineering Air box with the HKS SuperPowerFlow mushroom foam filter that Maxi has, but then I read about oil going through it burning air flow meters, so I m still left with my factory paper filter.

What is the Spec R box thing?

Claudius [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The spec r box is the power engineering one.
Probably one of the best solutions fitted with the blitz filter.

It's quiet expensive but you get the battery relocation pipe,the airbox,and all the hoses,and there won't be any water or warm air problems.
I think both blitz and hks filters are good,and much better than the standard airbox.
I'm not saying that the standard airbox is a big restriction on the evo as the standard exhaust,but I don't like the idea of the standard paper filter in a plastic box.

With the others filter you have a slight power improvement but the quality,sound and look it's really goodhttp://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >!

Claudius if you don't stop thinking about which one to go for the evo IX will be there once you got it fitted!

After all your car is still STANDARD[img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/embarassed1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > except for the ecu that doesn't work well with the standard exhaust and it costs... no,I won't say the price that they ask you for a ralliart sports ecu,It's not even fun!!!

So just pick up the phone,call power engineering and order that airbox with the blitz filter!
Anyway you never drive your car under the rain and you don't come with us to see the rally of monte carlo because It's cold[img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >!

Then you could give your 1400£ ralliart sorts ecu(oouuuuppppsss....sorry!)back and go for the motec m 48 with the hks hyper muffler.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts