Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been given an air filter (looks like a metal sieve) for my standard spec Evo VI.

1. Can I fit it and leave it alone or do I have to get the ecu re-programmed / reset?
2. What tangible effects will I have / notice? (performance, noise, economy)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You can just install it and forget about it.
What brand is it? Make sure it is one that allows adequate filtering.

You won't need to do anything to the ECU. From my experience, you will notice a nice increase in power, the car will sound a little bit louder and you will be able to hear the BOV hiss when you let off.I didn't notice any real change in my fuel economy, but I don't monitor it to much. It was #### poor when I got the car and it is still #### poor one year later.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If in doubt, go for it!

Have just fitted the filter myself (not exactly rocket science).

Have noticed a much more noticeable 'whoosh' and, if it's not my imagination, a bit more 'oomph'!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be interested to know which brands have you all gone for, and have you used same brands with exhausts?

How much do the filters etc come in at?

Regards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd be interested to know which brands have you all gone for, and have you used same brands with exhausts?

How much do the filters etc come in at?

Regards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've just fitted the HKS induction kit more for the noise than performance.

One thing to watch out for is when the four nuts and bolts on the factory air box are undone from the engine side of the air intake.

There are four nuts on bolts and these bolts (located on the inside of the air filter box) have oval heads which are held in place by tiny pieces of plastic. These are absolutely pathetic and when I attempted to undo mine, (on a car with under 2000 miles on it) three out of four stripped the plastic retainers.

I ended up using a pair of pliars to hold the metal ovals whilst a socket was used on the nut. - Those Japs may be small, but they seem to over tighten their nuts and bolts!!

This is not a huge problem as this part is replaced with the HKS kit, but if you want to go back to factory standard, your in trouble.

To be safe, I'd use a garage and check the parts they return. Has anyone else had this problem?

Naunt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ditto : had exact same problem.

In the end I had to (very carefully) saw the nuts in half down the centre to remove ! Got them our but they're obviously not suitable to put back-in !!

Naunt : see message under Magnex exhaust also.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So , not just me then !!
Just finished a round of mods to my VI , which included installing a Blitz Induction
kit (the best by the way , zero maintenance
apart from the occasional blow out , and unlike the foam nasties does not coat the air meter with filter oil !) and I had the exact same hassle with the factory air box fixed studs ! no way to avoid it, if it happens to u that part is scrap.
Also , if anybody wud like to know the best dump valve to fit , its the HKS sequential , this is the absolute biz , top sound effects and very effective.

So long for now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi!
I want to go for the HKS induction kit,does it makes a real difference in sound?
Torque developements claim a 8-10bhp power improvement,and 17 bhp with the racing air
suction pipe.What do you think about that?
Which one should I go for,the BLITZ or the HKS kit?
Do you know where I can buy the pipe that switch the battery with the air intake?

Bye!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi!
I want to go for the HKS induction kit,does it makes a real difference in sound?
Torque developements claim a 8-10bhp power improvement,and 17 bhp with the racing air
suction pipe.What do you think about that?
Which one should I go for,the BLITZ or the HKS kit?
Do you know where I can buy the pipe that switch the battery with the air intake?

Bye!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The noise.......

Well the HKS induction kit (without the racing pipe) sounds like........ How do I do this?

Well, If you grit your teeth and breath in for three seconds making as much noise as you can (mechanic's style) and then breath out as fast as you can again making as much noise as possible, and repeat the whole thing four times, then you've just got the sound of the HKS doing a 1/4 mile run!!

Hope this makes sense. Everyone in the office is now looking at me, I'll have to clutch my chest and claim heart attack or something!!

Anyone out there with an HKS like to comment on the impression? That Rory Bremner is noffink!!

Perhaps Evoboy could do something similar and then you could make a purchase decision? http://www.ltregister.force9.co.uk/graphics/Happy.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

Rgds

Naunt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please excuse me , but I could never compete with the likes of Naunt or Rory impersonating automotive sound effects , so how about an analogy
instead ?
With the Blitz filter installed the sound of the turbo is disturbingly
close to a military jet fighter spooling up for take off , this we like , virtually all pedestrians and anyone else within the epicenter are compelled to stand and stare , great.
Seriously though , the Blitz filter is the one , it looks fanbloodytastic , will last forever , does not require oiling like any
foam filter (some of the oil will coat the air meter which results in
confusion for the ECU with predictable results) if used with the
filter and battery relocating kit will sound even better ,and will give as much or even more power increase as the HKS.
So , hope that helps Maxi decide.
I have loads more stuff planned for my VI , I'll report as and when.

Max boost for now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Battery relocation kit? I didn't know anyone actually made these. I thought they were custom mods. Give me some more info. please.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi!!!

Thank you all for the informations and sound effects(!!!).

I am really interested too about the battery relocation kit.
I've seen these kits in many pictures of japanese tuned evo's(BOZZ SPEED,CREATIVE(?),
HKS KANSAI...)but I don't know where to buy one...at least at a reasonable price,
RALLIART have a nice air suction kit composed of a main pipe,red anodyzed that
switch the battery with the airbox,a few hoses,and a red aluminium plate(I guess it's
to fix the battery on!).It looks really complete,but I've never seen it fitted on a car,
not even on a picture,probably because of the price of it(around £ 350!),without any
filter!

So if you know a company that can made this kit or if BLITZ made one at a less expensive
price than the RALLIART item,please let me know!!!

Thank you again for your advises and keep on writing about any imression or sound fx!!!

Best regards

MAXI

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi!!!
Thank you all for the informations and sound effects(!!!).
I am really interested too about the battery relocation kit.
I've seen these kits in many pictures of japanese tuned evo's(BOZZ SPEED,CREATIVE(?),
HKS KANSAI...)but I don't know where to buy one...at least at a reasonable price,
RALLIART have a nice air suction kit composed of a main pipe,red anodyzed that
switch the battery with the airbox,a few hoses,and a red aluminium plate(I guess it's
to fix the battery on!).It looks really complete,but I've never seen it fitted on a car,
not even on a picture,probably because of the price of it(around £ 350!),without any
filter!
So if you know a company that can made this kit or if BLITZ made one at a less expensive
price than the RALLIART item,please let me know!!!
Thank you again for your advises and keep on writing about any imression or sound fx!!!
Best regards
MAXI

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have Blitz filter, exhaust and amp; dump valve on my V1. Coupled with a de-cat pipe, it sounds well loud

Have a look at http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/

Pesky

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Blitz UK are out of stock for the next few weeks - seems they've had a bit of a rush on this week!

Fortunately ABP Motorsport have a few in stock (one less for me), so get'em quick to avoid disappointment.

The guy there prefered the Blitz product to HKS, and said that the Blitz had killed sales of the previuously popular HKS. Wonder why

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So,no one knows where to get a suction pipe switching battery and amp; air intake?

Does anyone has the HKS RACING SUCTION KIT installed?
How does it sounds?

Regards

MAXI

1 - 20 of 32 Posts