Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help on diagnosing a problem here...

After driving the evo like I had stolen it :D at the Haynes sprint the other week, I started getting air bubbles in the coolant. I thought I had blown the head gasket, but I was 100 miles from home so thought if I drive it carefully with no boost and moderate speed and kept a very close eye on the temperature guage I would be fine to get it home so I could fix it.

Well it drove home absolutely fine without missing a beat (still had full power) and with no overheating at all and when I checked the coolant when I got home, the bubbles had subsided but were still there.

I had the coolant tested for hydro-carbons, but there was absolutely none, so we flushed the coolant and drove it again. The bubbles reappeared.

Thinking that there was no other option, we took the head off but when we did that the gasket looked perfect, but the tops of the valves were wet. Figuring it must be a cracked head, sent the head to the machine shop for crack testing. The machine shop say the head is perfect.

Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Hi Mike

a few things come to mind....
1. rad cap
2. water pump &/or gasket knackered

& bit more serious
3. cracked bottom end /cylinder bore(s)
..... hence valves being wet

keep us posted

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
Mike: Sorry to hear of your woes, especially so near to Cadwell day!... what method of crack testing did they use? also did they pressure test it as well ?...some of the crack testing methods can be a little unreliable, guy that did most of my engine work ( block and head) doesnt rely on the crack test ( showed me a head that had passed the test but failed once under pressure) hence more interested on the pressure testing results, both have there downfalls though.
Does sound like cylinder pressure getting into coolant but its odd if theres no hydrocarbons in there...hmmm....im guessing there no sign of loss of coolant etc ?...or smell of it ? often more noticable than leaks if they are small....leaks dont usually give bubbles though, and that can only come from air being forced into coolant as im sure you are aware... cant think of what to try next if youve had it pressure tested....block crack maybe.. but if theres no hydrocarbons surley it cant be that.....might be a tiny fault in the gasket ?....but again hydro's would be in coolant...most odd

If i think of anything else i will be in touch..... let me know how you go.

Cheers
Ian

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
Been thinking some more.....if it was me ( and the head has been pressure tested and seems ok) i would clean up the block and head then refit with new arp head studs and metal or stock gasket and see how it goes for the next few days.

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
666 Posts
Is the inlet manafold water cooled? sometimes get a prob of inlet gaskets and manafolds cracking on other cars. worth a look if it is.

Carl

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for the replies guys.

Ian, your conclusion is the same as ours... we're just going to put it all back together and see how it goes. Hopfully it was a leak in the head gasket that we can't see.

Carl, there are water jackets on the throttle body and the turbo, but both of those are dry and appear fine.

Jan, the rad cap and water pump wouldn't explain the water on the valves... and if the block is cracked... who wants to come to Cadwell to watch me try and make the engine blow? :eek: :crackup:

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
mikerudd said:
Cheers for the replies guys.
Jan, the rad cap and water pump wouldn't explain the water on the valves...
no....but could explain the bubbles....which was your original question
+ the block crack etc could/would possibly explain the valve issue

as Ian says....put it back together and hope it's ok ?

cheers

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
Mike,
Good luck and hope its all ok ( good chance it will be :) ) speak to you at cadwell hopefully, dont worry you can have a lap in mine if yours pops :)...thats providing i dont get carried away with boost on mine and blow the head off :eek:...gona try limit myself to 1.5bar max !

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hope your right mike doing loads of head gaskets at the mo and a few u just cant see where they have gone, new gasket and all is well! Hope it works out.

Ian dont be a pussy wind her up :crackup:

Carl

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
Carl,
Would love too.. but i think even @ 1.5bar we are turning the turbo into a hot air blower :eek:.....need this 20g on then i can start planning ecu/injector fund...will chase the guy up this weekend i think...still need to rebuiuld my old g/box as well...and sort these Wilwoods ...which will be next job after caddy :)...never ending fun :D

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Ian,

Yeah, it's all back together, and it is behaving itself at the moment, but the real test will be tomorrow at Cadwell... I'll be there and hopefully it'll hold together.

See you tomorrow mate.

mike

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
Good stuff hope it behaves...and i hope mine behaves as well as its the first real test of my engine building skills :eek:...done 3k road miles now so is ready for the track!.... see you there :)

Cheers
Ian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts