Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an aging Athlon XP2800 on a Asus A7N8X motherboard with 1.5 Gb of memory.

The FX5600XT card is getting a bit long in the tooth for games like FEAR so I'm thinking about replacing it with a Inno3D 7600 GS (£80) or a XFX 7600 GT (£127).

The question is will I get much benefit from the more expensive GT or will the CPU hold it back.

Or am I best just sticking with the FX5600XT.

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So its worth doing, but I wouldn't get the full gains from overclockiong the DDR3 memory on the GT with my hardware as opposed to overclocking the DDR2 on the GS?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm undecided about upgrading to something like the Zoostorm 4-6401 or holding onto the XP2800 system for another 12-24 months with the upgraded graphics card.

Or to put it another way spend £1000 now to move to a system which should be good for the next 3-4 years or to try and get an extra year or two from the XP2800

·
Registered
160 Posts
I can't believe no one's said anything about the just-released ATI X1950 Pro 512mb DDR2 AGP :confused:. It's without a doubt the most powerful AGP on the market; this thing is thrashing even most PCI-e cards and for the price it can't be beaten (£150 from ebuyer). I wouldn't even be looking at anything else.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the Info.

My thoughts so far, the 7800GS is a bit too expensive and the Sapphire X1950 though more than I was hoping to spend is very tempting - Edited but I now know my 360W PSU will not be up to the job. So I will need to upgrade the PSU as well. Edited

Will my XP2800 CPU get the most from this powerful a card?

As stated previously the card will used in HL2, Fear and possibly BF2142. I'm in no way a hardcore gamer, but am fed up of 800x600 with most of the goodies disabled.

I

·
Registered
755 Posts
the CPU should be ok and if it does course a few issues they can be overclocked really well :)..

infact i sold a similar setup to a m8 when i upgraded.. he put a 6800gts i think nito the system and he was playing BF2 with all the settings quite high.. not much difference between that and BF2142..

a lot of the newer games can be memory intensive as well so its nice to have a lot of memory :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts