Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is required to fit an aftermarket steering wheel yet still retain the horn and indicator cancellation facility? Not overly interested in the wheel being removable so that should simplify things somewhat. :smthumbup

·
MLR Oldie
14,954 Posts
Using the correct boss kit should be all that's required.

I used a Splash (rebranded Works Bell) boss. It came with the wiring mod for the SRS light and fits keeping the clock spring in place. My horn works as normal and mi indicators cancel as normal. I had to purchase a horn retaining ring as I never got one with my steering wheel. (i use a quick release mechanism too but that should make any difference)

·
Premium Member
10,667 Posts
Where do you get a horn retaining ring? Will it make the horn work with a quick release?

Using the correct boss kit should be all that's required.

I used a Splash (rebranded Works Bell) boss. It came with the wiring mod for the SRS light and fits keeping the clock spring in place. My horn works as normal and mi indicators cancel as normal. I had to purchase a horn retaining ring as I never got one with my steering wheel. (i use a quick release mechanism too but that should make any difference)

·
MLR Oldie
14,954 Posts
How exactly does it work?
How does what work - The horn retaining ring? I think it just prevents the horn button from falling through the muddle of the wheel and inside the boss. It's also got an electrical connection for earthing the horn. Not much too it really.

·
Premium Member
10,667 Posts
Don't think it's going to work then? My quick release is solid ? I thought it may have some sort of contact plate ? Bit hard to explain. But surely when you release the wheel you won't have wires to disconnect?

How does what work - The horn retaining ring? I think it just prevents the horn button from falling through the muddle of the wheel and inside the boss. It's also got an electrical connection for earthing the horn. Not much too it really.

·
... now with more Bang :)
17,773 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Look at the link. That is as good a guide as you gonna get.
The contacts shown (the brass sort of screw heads) on the quick release give the horn connection when the steering wheel is on.
It's all very straightforward really. I got a short boss kit (or there very good chance wheel will be too close to you) which comes with the SRS light cancel resistor. If you don't get this don't worry as you can just buy one from E-Bay or Maplins (can't remember size but just Google it)
I also have a Works Bell snap off kit (think renamed splash now). These are awesome and very easy to get wheel off and on, took totally ages to come from Japan mind!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts